Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

benefits of tuning a Manual?

steelsabre

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ute my12
Hey guys,

As the title suggests im wondering what would the benefits be for tuning a manual car ?

It probably sounds newbish ... that's cause i am hahaha

I know tuning an Auto can do alot for it, but specificity can be done for a manual sidi, and is it worth doing.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You're tuning the engine which results in higher power output at the rear wheels regardless of whether it's auto/manual.

That being said you can tune the auto transmission itself to alter the shift characteristics to suit yourself.

You can't tune a manual gearbox if that's what you're suggesting.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
That's why it's called manual, you must manually tune your gearbox with your feet and hands.

Yeah I have no constructive advice, just wanted to chuck that one in..

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

steelsabre

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ute my12
Thanks alot guys.. ive gained clarity

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wanted to quote Jeremy clarkson driving the monaro but can't find the quote.

Was along the lines of: "most modern cars have multiple modes for the driver to choose how their gearbox will perform, this one has a gearstick and a clutch"

They can tune the auto all they like but it won't do what you want 100% of the time. A manual will. Tune the motor if you want more power and enjoy your lack of slush box

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
does tuning strain the engine/manual tranny
Depends what you sort of tune you are doing mate.
Normally you tune a car when you have done some mods to it like better flowing exhaust and better flowing Intake(this is where the air comes into the engine).
Basically the motor needs more air to make a bigger explosion in the cylinders, creating more power, but it needs to be able to get the air out as well.
Once you have achieved this you need to tune the engine management to give it basically more fuel.
Just a different tune won't achieve a great deal so if that is all you are doing it won't strain your engine or drive line.
A custom tune on its own won't do much without changing the intake & exhaust, but even then if you are just changing exhaust and intake and getting a custom tune you probably won't be increasing power & torque much more than stock so your drive line should be fine.