Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Benefits of VS Stroker cleared block

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I have an SLE 253 and am going to throw in a VS 304 engine with VN T700 box.

I know this is nothing new and people will say go LS but that's not what I'm after.
The SLE is a one owner original 98000kms car and I intend on keeping it look as original as possible (Apart from the original Simmons FR19s)

The 253 will be removed and put on display and the VS block will be converted to carby with VN heads and painted GMH blue with standard GMH air cleaner etc.

Now, I'm hoping to achieve 400hp at the fly and although it's achievable with a standard 304 wanted to know what the benefit of a stroker cleared block is, if any?

Even if I'm building a 304 engine wouldn't the block still need to be prepared? For a little more money would I be able to use the block for a 355 kit?

Thanks for your help.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Only benefit is the stroker clearance for the 3.48" crank with stock rods. Just means you won't need to grind anything away for clearance. Earlier blocks are fine too - just more clearancing required. Even with a stroker clearanced block, when running aftermarket rods you'll often need to clearance anyway.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Benefit is they're more common & better chance finding one that still has it's original bore size...stroker clearance just saves you money on grinding time so if takes awhile to get the right block it's worth the wait.

Pick stroker crank that allows you use vn/s rods with suitable pistions or if plan on going further I beams not overkill H beams which most dont need anyway.

You'll get 400hp with 5 litres just that stroker will do it easier with better street manners...taller gears etc

Can still go efi with those new holley sniper/terminator kits & keep carby look.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Benefit is they're more common & better chance finding one that still has it's original bore size...stroker clearance just saves you money on grinding time so if takes awhile to get the right block it's worth the wait.

Pick stroker crank that allows you use vn/s rods with suitable pistions or if plan on going further I beams not overkill H beams which most dont need anyway.

You'll get 400hp with 5 litres just that stroker will do it easier with better street manners...taller gears etc

Can still go efi with those new holley sniper/terminator kits & keep carby look.
Carby sounds better yes they're.more painful but a street demon is pretty good and has electronic choke.
Carby's need to see a vaccume signal to operate well when you add a big cam with lots of overlap the reversion stuffs up the vac signal in the intake causing them to run the way they do. EFI being superior in every other way is boring imo.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
He won't be building no bushpig stroker...had that convo with him a few years ago lol

More like a reliable cruiser that goes & sounds decent

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
The VS block is being picked up this weekend. It's unopened and has original bore.

gtrboyy, you still have your VH?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah mate still got it & plan to have it back on road again next year with more mods & hidden wiring etc...just got to finish off that rough as guts vp ute first.

Had it driving again not long after you saw it...was pretty crazy to cruise in then rear main leak got worse.Pulled it apart then ended up back at old job(shiftwork)

Hit me up for info if you need it also got lot of parts to offload cheap I don't need like vs v8 powersteer & air con set ups...might have old parts off vh to offload.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I have revolving door of various 304 parts too. I'm in Melbourne but happy to ship to you if there's anything you need. Cheers.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Cheers guys.

Engine is home.

20 mins after I unloaded the engine and placed it on the ground my 2 year old dropped a washer into the engine where the distributor goes!

With my last build (VH with 304 EFI conversion) I kept the original VH K Frame. From it was a tight fit with the EFI gear and Castle Main headers.
This time around I'm using Pacemaker PH5700 headers. I was going to use the original K frame again. Anyone recommend not doing this and going a VN K frame?

On my parts list
Engine rebuild kit
Cam
Intake manifold to suit EFI heads (I'm looking at the Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap)
650cfm carby

Possibly a VN K-Frame and VN power steering rack and pump

Attachments

• VH SLE V8.jpg
    VH SLE V8.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 463

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Cheers guys.

Engine is home.

20 mins after I unloaded the engine and placed it on the ground my 2 year old dropped a washer into the engine where the distributor goes!

With my last build (VH with 304 EFI conversion) I kept the original VH K Frame. From it was a tight fit with the EFI gear and Castle Main headers.
This time around I'm using Pacemaker PH5700 headers. I was going to use the original K frame again. Anyone recommend not doing this and going a VN K frame?

On my parts list
Engine rebuild kit
Cam
Intake manifold to suit EFI heads (I'm looking at the Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap)
650cfm carby

Possibly a VN K-Frame and VN power steering rack and pump

The car has a 3.9 LSD rear end.

I'm looking at a Transmission rebuild too with Corvette servos and stage 2 shift kit along with a 3-3500rpm stall converter, depending in the cam.