Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bent Front Axle. what kinda of $$$ ?

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
Just noticed lately that my wheel scrubs when i turn into a full lock, then i also noticed my car drags to the side alot, and under heavy braking there is another scrubbing noise, so i had a look at the wheels thismorning and noticed there is probably an inch or two of gap difference with the wheels, (the right is closer to the body)

just wondering if this is going to be expensive or somewhere cheap i can get it repaired around the sunshine coast area, QLD.

thankyou

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Mate, how long have you had the car and have you hit any gutters or other hard objects lately? it's not likely to be a bent axle, but something amiss with the suspension and possibly, the subframe. Sounds like it's had a hit at some time. Get it to a wheel aligner and see what's out of whack and whether it can simply be re-aligned by adjustment. If damage is present, it will show up during the alignment process.

Wheel alignment costs vary but around $60-$70 is a reasonable price.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
It will be the castor rod bushes. they are common on commodores and should be replaced with urethane ones. Nolathane, Superpro, Noltec are all more than adequate for the job. You will need an allignment after fitting most likely

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
yeah i have also been told my bushes need replacing but i did hit a gutter pretty hard the other night it was raining and i didnt know the roads too well.. learnt my lesson...

if it is the axle, does anyone know the costs?

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
there is no axle in the front. theres a control arm, which has a hub/wheel at one end. Its attached to a shock absorber/spring which holds it up vertically and theres a radius rod which stops the wheel moving horizontally ie backwards.

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
there is no axle in the front. theres a control arm, which has a hub/wheel at one end. Its attached to a shock absorber/spring which holds it up vertically and theres a radius rod which stops the wheel moving horizontally ie backwards.

ahh excellent that helps me a little bit more now when i get quotes, got a rough idea on whether it can be bent or would you say its just the bushes? if so what kind of mechanic can fix a bent/broken/non bush problem?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
ahh excellent that helps me a little bit more now when i get quotes, got a rough idea on whether it can be bent or would you say its just the bushes? if so what kind of mechanic can fix a bent/broken/non bush problem?

If you've belted the kerb, there is a very good chance you have bent something and it won't just be the bushes.

Any competent mechanic can replace the front end parts on a Commy - the suspension is pretty basic and very well known in the trade. No major need for special tools, unless you have bent the chassis. A wheel alignment after repairs have been carried out is essential.