Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best aftermarket Valvetrain components for street/strip VE SSV

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
Hi,

I need some advice/suggestions!!!

I had some modifications done to my VE SSV about 4,000km ago and the shop used my stock lifters, pushrods and rocker arms as they'd only done 50,000km. Last weekend I lost a lifter and rocker arm and now I want to replace the lifters, pushrods and rockers as it's starting to sound 'loose' along the rockers. lift is 0.612/0.604 and I am now hearing that this is too much for stock components?

What advice can you give me for roller rockers, pushrods and lifters to deal with my current and future power/usage?

current power = 446rwhp
intended power = 650-700rwhp (when I fit some forced induction)
rev range/abuse = 6,400-6,500rpm at the strip (average 30 runs per year) and less than 3,000rpm around town
cam specs = 233/238 0.612/0.604 113lsa
budget = I'll have to order parts from the US so about $800US for parts (please correct me if you think I need to spend more and why)

At this stage it looks like my best option is Comp Cams for roller rockers, pushrods and lifters, would they do the job?

Thanks in advance.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
just make sure you get offset rockers.
any hardened pushrods will do, but you might want to check the lengths, i wouldnt think the base-circle of the cam would be too extreme so standard length should do.
gm performcance lifters are always a good option.

Id be looking into why the valvetrain is sounding loose though and why you lost a lifter!
stock rockers should be fine with your setup, maybe the shop didnt torque them properly or you could have ptv clearance issues depending on the advancing etc of the cam

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
Most people seem to go stock rockers with the Comp trunion upgrade.

Comp Hi-Tech pushrods are the go, probably want to get the actual pushrod length checked out before spending the $.

IMO for the intended power outputs and RPM you'd be best off looking at a set of Morel / Comp / Lunati tie bar lifters. Bear in mind you'll need to check the pushrod length after replacing the lifters.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I'm on my 3rd cam in a VE all using stock lifters with comp pushrods and valve springs, all have needed longer pushrods.

A lot of failures are due to install not being checked properly.

Now your at this stage the tie bar lifters are good insurance as you have to pull the heads off.