Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best battery for in the boot?

Full noise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Have a VL V8 efi and the elec put the battery in the boot but the cables seem to be sucking too much juice to kick it over fast enough.
Do any of you guys know what hi po batteries are out there please?

H

harrop.senator

Dry cell , most common is optima. That way you don't need to run a box.

If go a standard wet cell type you need to run a box and drill the floor for a venting hole.

H

harrop.senator

Also what gauge wire are you running and where's your earth?

H

harrop.senator

I think it's resistance? That needs checking. But there's a way to rule out whether the wiring is to long for the gauge and drops amps over the length.

I've also struggled with finding good earth's in the boot. I usually go off a rear seat belt retainer bolt.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think it's resistance? That needs checking. But there's a way to rule out whether the wiring is to long for the gauge and drops amps over the length.

I've also struggled with finding good earth's in the boot. I usually go off a rear seat belt retainer bolt.

I have personally earth my battery to my boot floor....Been like that for 7 years (or there abouts) in my current car...IMA mines not an EFI car either, so not sure whether than has an effect on it or not

I have also earthed the motor from the engine mount bolt to the k-frame...Curious whether the op's car is earthed at the motor?

Battery is a Century maintenance free...It's a NS 70 LX MF 720 CCA battery

Couldn't say what gauge my earth or power wire is though, but my boot earth is the same thickness as my power wire....

H

harrop.senator

I've bought a car with a battery in the boot install already done. I'd earthed motor to chassis and was about to upgrade the wiring as it was starting slow.

They had just drilled a hole in the floor and was running a nut and bolt through the earth lead with a wave bite washer. Someone on here recommended moving the battery earth to a seat belt point.

It fixed the issue. That was running 4 gauge? wire but it was really thin stranded and ally? Looking. It was larger then a normal engine bay positive but definitely didn't have the large copper strand like normal.

That was for an EFI car with a decent size fuel pump .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've bought a car with a battery in the boot install already done. I'd earthed motor to chassis and was about to upgrade the wiring as it was starting slow.

They had just drilled a hole in the floor and was running a nut and bolt through the earth lead with a wave bite washer. Someone on here recommended moving the battery earth to a seat belt point.

It fixed the issue. That was running 4 gauge? wire but it was really thin stranded and ally? Looking. It was larger then a normal engine bay positive but definitely didn't have the large copper strand like normal.

That was for an EFI car with a decent size fuel pump .

That might be the difference...Don't efi cars require better earth points as they rely more the battery power than what an old carbed engine car does...Hope that makes sense :)

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
You could rule out earth to block issues with 400amp jumper leads as a temp earth to block.

If this immediately solves it, then you would know for sure it was the issue.