Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best choice for Rear Mufflers

gmoulds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS M6
Guy's I need advise,

I've got a Manual MY2012 SS with Hurricane 1 3/4 Headers, High Flow Cats and 2 1/2" System, VCM OTR and Tune. Cars great, only complaint, as with all, drone around 1800-2000 rpm. Problem is it is a bit loud for my 5am starts. At the moment my sons pinched the Hurricane Rear Mufflers for his SV6(which actuall sound pretty good) and I'm back to standard.

Question I'm looking for some replacement rear mufflers that are quiters than the Straight through Hurricanes but louder than standard, give a good note and sould like a V8 should. Was looking at some Berklee bs9530, can anyone comment or suggest an alternative.
I want to keep the Huricane center section.

Thanks

Grahame

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The centre is the issue. If yours just has the hotdogs, it won't matter what you put on the rear, it will still have that drone. You need a centre with a muffler and hotdogs to eliminate that drone.

The Berklee's will be loud and barky.

If you need rears as well, I can do the whole thing in a Manta with muffler/hotdogs and the quad tipped rears for $1295 shipped.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
NAAF do you have a sound file on that system (dog's and muff's) for ve 8

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, I only have one with hotdogs. I rarely do the muffler/hotdog combo.

gmoulds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS M6
NAFF
Thanks for the response, No drone at all now with the standard mufflers. The Manta cat back won't bolt to my Hurricane Headers and Cats.
Can live with a bit of drone if I have to just would like to get sound level someware between standard and taht of the Straight thru mufflers.

Has anyone installed the Berklees that can comment!!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The Manta system will bolt to the cats. The cat back part of the exhaust is all the same as they are made to bolt to standard cats. Unless yours has been modified.

It won't drone with the standard mufflers, but as soon as you fit something louder, you will get drone. The centre muffler is the issue causing that.

Here is the link to a VE SSV Ute that I did with hodogs and rear mufflers.

Don't take any notice of the fact that it's crooked, I fixed that straight after I did the video. Just a slight adjustment on the bolts.

gmoulds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS M6
Sound alright, I would be happy with that, but like I said won't fit, Centre piece of the Hurricane cat back system is two sections When you install the Hurricane Headers and Cats, you need to remove the front 600mm section which bolts together, just infront of the xpipe.
On your suggestion that it needs a centre muffler was looking to get the front hotdog replaced with a Magnaflow 12468. Seems like a good choice from the G8 forums. What rear mufflers do you use and how much with delivery to NSW 2251

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/04/2013 - Update if anyone is interested.

On the weekend Installed the Magnaflow 12468 Muffler behind the Hurricane X-Pipe took about 3 hours.
Sounds great, still has great note at idle, and under acceleration slight quiter than with Hot dogs and NO Drone,
Freeway drive 110K's in 6th perfectly quite

Turned out a good choice.

Only drawback had to remove tunnel brace and pipe sits about an 1" lower, will make a new brace this weekend.

Last edited: