Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best colour for a ve

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Nickel,
silver With a gold metallic. I'm definitely biased though.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
If you are going to go to the trouble and expense of spraying the whole car a new colour, why on earth would you go for a stock VE colour?

Go for something not available from Holden- like a gunmetal from Nissan GTR, or a pearl white from a Mazda 6.
Or go for something a little more fancy (like a 2 tone that changes colour in different light).

Or if you cant decide- just go for something like this ;).
automobile-color.jpg

Davesvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
S VZ Utility
black with red flake hmm that's an idea gotta ee how much that would cost haha as budget is around 3500

Try doubling that price for a decent spray job, 3500 ain't even gonna get you close to a full respray in a custom colour.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I can see this tread turning to crap very soon.

Colour is a personal preference, there is no BEST colour, just peoples favorite colour.
Its like saying what is the best road to drive on, the best music to play, the best movie to watch, the best restaurant to go to, the best motorbike out there... You get the idea...

If you are gong to go to the trouble and expense of a re-spray, then DEFINITELY do not go for a stock colour...
But keep in mind that if you do go for a different colour to the colour you have now, you will not be able to get away with a cheap re-spray.
The car will need to be stripped of all the external fixtures and fittings, engine will need to be taken out of the engine bay, and the whole lot will need to be sanded back, prepped and re-sprayed. (Think engine bay, door sills, boot, and all those impossible to reach places will need to be prepped and painted.

If you are going to go for the same (or very similar colour), then you do not need to go this far. (I.E. its not going to look too bodgey if the shade of red in the engine bay doesnt quite match the shade of red on the car...)

This will reduce the costs of a re-spray quite significantly....
Hope this helps

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
For $3500 you will only be able to get an external re-spray of the vehicle with roughly the same colour (I.E. Red, with a tad darker or lighter shade).

Start thinking $8000 - $10000 for a full respray with simple metallics, and you will be in the ball park.
If you want chameleon colours (Often called pearl of paradise), you will be looking at around $14000 to $18000, depending on the colour depth.
(The pearl of paradise paint costs around $400 to $600 a liter to give you an idea)... Standard paint costs around $40 - $80 liter depending on brand...

You can some money by stripping and prepping the car yourself, and then delivering the bare shell to the panel shop, but this is not going to be a weekend jobbie....

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
VOOOOODOOOOOO with a black roof

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Buy a different car.

I one of those, never respray your car a different colour kind of people. It's up there with re-naming boats, just bad luck. And in reality, the price of what you are talking, you may as well by a new one, as above, full respray in a new colour - $10,000.

Not to mention, lets say you pick bright yellow or something, you'll still have a red engine bay, unless you tear it all apart. Only time you bother with complete re-sprays is when you are doing a complete rebuild and you can sand the whole thing back.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Why don't you just get a pearl put over the top of the factory colour? It should come within your budget and will still be different. Silver pearl would look alright, subtle but enough for people to notice its been done.

I also agree with UFO.. if you're going a full respray why would you go a factory colour? Waste of money IMO.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
But Troy there's an endless supply of people wanting to waste money on V6 Commodores! :p lol