Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best diff for high horse powered L98

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
im meaning when u want the full beans it just wont get it to the ground then going a higher diff will make that slip happen even easier, im all for big power and if having to manage the power more with your right foot dosnt worry u then all good, i have the hsv 3.7 diff in mine and was even thinking bout going to a 3.45 just so its more usable
When your traction limited already because of bulk torque shorter diff gears isn’t really worth two knobs of goat shite.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
depends what ur doing with it too so if ur going to 1/4 mile it and ur just on a rpm limit before the end ur just going to loose time making a gear change so going a lower diff will extend that so u just hold the same gear over the line

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
For a daily with that much power, I'd want to be running the standard ratio of 3.45. Otherwise fuel and tyres go bye-bye.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I have a PD blown LS1, I did have 3.9, I swapped them out for a taller 3.46, which is much better everywhere

I think I should have gone even taller and got a 3.07, nope.....I should have gone a 3.07

I am running a 4l60e though, but even with your manual, you don't need to rev a PD blower car to make power

I would pick the tallest gears that suits the drivablity of your car, not the rev range

PD for power, gears for traction and fuel economy

Opinions may vary

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I knew I read this ^^^^^^^ six or so months ago that someone had to go taller because of the torque he was putting to the ground.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not saying you're wrong but how can a torque proof diff to suit a VE be built for $3k? I'm already at $635 and that's just for the gears. I could see it maybe possible if just fitting a Harrop with original gears and a bearing kit. Labour and bearing kit just to do the diff build is around $1200. Bloke I use has done heaps of ZFs and has some tools he made himself to make the job easier but he is still around $1100 or so for a ZF.
Does the 9" fella use a Harrop or those cheap Torqueline centres?
I'm using a low KM stock centre and I will be over $2k for my build, that's with 3.9s.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Not saying you're wrong but how can a torque proof diff to suit a VE be built for $3k? I'm already at $635 and that's just for the gears. I could see it maybe possible if just fitting a Harrop with original gears and a bearing kit. Labour and bearing kit just to do the diff build is around $1200. Bloke I use has done heaps of ZFs and has some tools he made himself to make the job easier but he is still around $1100 or so for a ZF.
Does the 9" fella use a Harrop or those cheap Torqueline centres?
I'm using a low KM stock centre and I will be over $2k for my build, that's with 3.9s.

Losh, I got put onto this guy from one of our forklift drivers who runs a black v2 monaro into the 7's. He said there's nobody he'd trust other than this bloke with his diff. There are a heap of reviews of the diffs he's built and they're pretty good from the few that I've read.

I'd give him a call and have a chat. Can't hurt.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's a bargain, especially if you get to nominate what ratios you want. I'm not familiar with the Trutrac he uses but it's not the cheap Torquline one I was advised to avoid. I'd say he would be using Motive gears too and not the cheap Torqueline ones that are getting about on eBay and a few other sites.
I have my own builder in SA but to get all that done it would think it would be well over $3k, probably $4k.
I got my gears for $450 which is the cheapest price I have seen, even cheaper than the eBay price with 20% off.
That centre sounds awesome. Almost tempting to have my polished gears that are in Adelaide sent over and see what this bloke would charge if I was to supply my own gears. I have to send my spare housing to Adelaide to get rebuilt as the only capable bloke in the state here is three hours away and won't answer his phone.
I have a builder in SA who has done two diffs for me before so I trust his work, no problem at all. But price wise I don't think he would even get close to the 9" fella.