Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best donor choice for a 304 conversion

Churchy06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc wagon
Hi. I have just inherited a 4cylinder VC wagon and want to do a 304 conversion on it. From researching this forum it looks like various bits from the newer models work best for the conversion. Is there one specific model that is a better choice as a donor? I’ve found a 5L 98 VS Statesman for a reasonable price but just trying to make sure I’m not buying myself a headache by starting with this model as a donor. I’ve also found a 10 bolt Salisbury diff complete with hubs, brakes etc. Is this a good choice or can the rear end from the donor be adapted? Any advice or tips is appreciated. Thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You will need a wagon donor diff as the mounts are different to the sedan version. I'd probably recommend a BW diff as there are a lot more parts available, cheaper and stronger than the salisbury.

Engine wise, the last of the 5l 304's are the best power wise from the factory but do have a few issues the main one been the spider retainer plate for the roller lifters tend to fail leading to lifter and cam failure and engine rebuild. Tie bar lifters recommended to solve this issue.

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I thought later blocks had more core shift so earlier were better.
In my opinion, since you aren't chasing huge power, go anything that is running map sensor. Maf will make the conversion a little harder.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
^^^ found that too earlier blocks less core shift & more meat around main cap webbing but this was back when had to weld/machine block for 4 bolt caps.

Ideally vn/p 304 driveline is easiest to swap over but vs v8 is good too if you have the whole car swap it all over from radiator,crossmember all way through to front half of tailshaft.

if you can find them a vk or vl wagon b/w housing then rebuild with gears you want,28 spline lsd & axles or go skitso on new parts.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep. My machinist says VL or VN block as the best cast etc VN or VP is easiest wiring wise but if all you want is a stockish 304 type power than a roller 304 is ideal. A stock roller 304 is 179kw, put on a decent exhaust and cai, add a HSV 195i tune and it's really good for 200kw without breaking a sweat and in a early girl will be plenty of fun.

Churchy06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc wagon
Thanks for the replies. I’ve found a VK with the conversion already done so that might be the go