Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best engine oil

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I usually use 10-40, anything synthetic at the time, I recently found out that the REPCO brand oil is made by Penrite and sold in bulk to them for cheaper. I cant say if its exactly 100% the same product but its about $20+ cheaper.

Most the time I just get the cheapest 10-40 synthetic though.

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
I used nulon 10w40 in my ecotec ran fine no noises and smooth

Here here! 10w40 Magnatec for me... Very good and very cheap oil in my opinion!

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
using a 10w30 in an exotec more then 10 years old is really a joke. in the owners manual they recommend 10w30, but that was more then 10 years ago guys come on wake up guyssssssss.the correct oil grade for any car is by how much km on the car and by how old it is.

that explains why ive run mine on 10-30w mobil 1 since brand new and now it has 200 000 kays on it and the motor still sounds like the day i bought it

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
There is a hell of a lot more to oil these days then most know, theres your API rating, SAE rating ect. but not all oils with the same rating are as good as each other (cough cough gulf western for one). Im pretty sure the latest and greatest rating for petrol is SM and for diesel its CJ-4. SAE is generally your thickness, or 'viscosity' , 15w 40 is probably one of the most common, W meaning winter or cold weather. Different oil companies all have slightly different levels of additives, detergents ect thats why some brands of oil will burn excessive amount in one engine, and then when you switch to another oil of the same grade it doesnt. I would recommend whatever the manual recommends as the big companies such as Holden get an oil company to develop an oil for their engine to Holdens specification, or they might select and existing oil that meets or surpasses their needs.

So i say whatever the manual says is the best suited, given the manual is about 10 yrs old the oil may be out of date and you should consider a newer oil with the SM rating and same SAE as the original. Im no expert on this subject.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Like I said in your other thread SUPER 20W/50

chris oo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina
Hi Guys

thanks for all the responses she has done 199,000 and i have only had her for six months so i might go with a 15-40

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
the manuall says 20w50 thats what i have always used in all my cars

ute boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Commodore Ute
I recently found out that the REPCO brand oil is made by Penrite and sold in bulk to them for cheaper. I cant say if its exactly 100% the same product but its about $20+ cheaper.

Most the time I just get the cheapest 10-40 synthetic though.

yerp it is same with a lot of repcos stuff eg injector cleaner/engin flush is nulon

i got 20w-50 penrite in mine
and a older and worn engine needs thicker oil then it needed then when it was brand new with no kms on it

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
i just bought some 10w-40 magnatec for my ls1 with 200,000kms on the clock, ran a nulon for 6000kms and engine is starting to tick a bit. ill give the magnatec a chance, i use to run castrol edge in my ecotec but $77 a bottle ill give it a miss. should i be running thicker oil for a ls1 with this many k's on it?