Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BEST EVA 12" SUB

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
that one made for small amounts of room is only like 300Wrms

im looking at 1000Wrms =\

S

skitzo

i dont understand this, first of all you want to use 6 x 9's with a sub and go for sound quality?? no chance

then you want a sub thats rated at a higher rms handling than your old one but you want less boot rattles?? thats sound deadening you gotta do there

and competition subs having to be over 1000wrms??

go have a look at some good sounding subs that you like and check out the rms value of them as lots of subs that can only handle 500wrms will go loud enough for everyday listening and definately enough if your going for sq over spl

unless your going for spl like me and want 2 x 12" subs with a box as big as ya boot then why waste money on a sub that can handle 1000wrms??... turn your gains down on your amp and buy a good quality 12" with around the 500-700rms rating

also not having splits up front will mean your front stage will be drowned out to the crapper and your sound quality will once again be lost, save your money on the sub and get some decent splits up front, you wont regret it

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
For loud SQ i'd be looking at Image Dynamics IDMax... Do a search on some US and Australian car audio forums, they are regarded as one of the top SQ subs around. I had/have an Adire Audio - Brahma and it is close to the IDmax, just a little more SPL and less SQ and it wen't pretty well.

jds303

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VS EXEC S2
IDMax, JL 12W6V2, Boston G5, so many to choose from. have a listen, then decide.

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
skitzo.

there is a forum 3 up from this one asking about sound deadneing... u can have a chip at that while your at it!

also... i have to amps!

one been 1200w its around 600Wrms porb abit less i forget its running my 6x9 and 6" up front. that is complete treble no bass!

i never stated i want "less boot rattle" i said i would go for better SQ ruther then SPL.
as i already have a large amount of boot rattle and there isnt much point making it worse.

also its hard for me to listen to any subs! only shops around here are autobahn and strathfield

what im also saying is why bother down down the gains? i may aswell have brought a cheaper amp....

i will tune it when i get the sub.

anything else u need to know skitzo?

im looking for around 1000Wrms

i can adjust my box if i have to, just prefer not too....

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
Well Stock, let's disect this.

1. You have 2 x 6" in the front, 2 x 6" x 9" in the rear. That's fine. You're running these off a 1200W Max (I'm guessing) amplifier that would no doubt be a 4 channel. This would probably be closer to around the 50W RMS mark per channel. Still fine.

2. You don't want less "boot rattle" but nor do you really want more. That's fine, noone likes that much anyway. A little sound deadening in the form of Stinger Road-Kill or it's equivalent will help sort some of that out.

3. You have an 1800W Max (again I'm assuming) amplifier that you want to run a sub from. You mentioned earlier that you were only using one channel, I assume that it is a 2 channel? What brand/model is it? If it is 1800W Max then your RMS will only be around 300-400 so no point running a 1000W RMS sub on that anyway. But if the quoted figure of 1800W encompasses 2 or even 4 channels, then that's bad news as it means each channel gets a smidgeon of the quoted power.

4. You would prefer to not adjust your box. That again is fine but however each subwoofer needs to be used in a specifically designed enclosure. Some sealed, some ported. Some need small volumes, some need large. No matter what subwoofer you buy, 1000W or a 300W, you ARE going to need to change your box. At the very least to drive the speaker the way the manufacturer intended it.

Let's start by giving a little more information on the amplifier from there people can match a subwoofer that will drive to it's optimum. This may mean that it won't be a 1000W one, but a 300W subwoofer can sound just as good as a 1000W one any day. The only real difference is you won't be winnning any SPL contests, but being in the sticks this was probably never a concern anyway.

Cheers

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
thanks a ton cam...

ummm its the latest kenwood 1800W amp. i cant find spec's as some $#@$#@ has thrown the box along with everything else out. its a 2 channel and i think it was around 300Wrms coming out of each.

umm... which yeah means then it'd be about 600Wrms sub i need.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=18&k3=59&pr=2012

no rms rating....

everything above is correct yeah!

the box will be changed, i assumed it would have to be. but i will see how it goes with the old one and then if its terrile i will change it!

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
Best advice I can give would be to go to your nearest car audio place. Be that Autobarn or whatever you have and explain to them what it is you want and what hardware you already have.

Any salesman worth his salt should be able to match you something and be able to give you atleast an idea of what it will sound like. Make sure you get specs like box size etc. Don't buy anything unless you are happy with it.

D

danny6424

The MTX Thunder 9500 is 1000WRMS, and MTX make good subs.