Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best exhaust option

ss4work

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ssv ute
Hey just wondering about any opinions on xforce kpm and difillipo full exhaust systems? Any preference as to why one is better than the other? Also whether to go a 2.5 or 3 inch system?

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey SS, here is my 2 cents worth.

I had a Coby 3" catback on my E1 Senator LS2.

It was way too loud & quite droney, but very cool driving through car parks setting car alarms off & everyone looks when you go by.

I looked at all the options & in the end went for a 2.5" Xforce catback system in steel because it sounded really good. No drone & when you drove it slowly it wasn't noisy. It sounded cool when you started the car & if you put your foot into it the sound was awesome.

Difillipo seemed expensive for my tastes, but they say they are great too. Stainless systems look amazing also.

My E2 Senator has the bi-modal system on it & it is great too. Not sure if I will bother replacing it this time.

Hope that helps.

QAR

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Wagon
Depends, shorty headers like HSV will give high RPM power, high flow steel cats, and 2.5" catback is good for exhaust velocity and power. However this car needs more torque and usually driven under 3800 RPM so long tube tri-y headers make good torque you can use.
No need for mid muffler (resonator), or branded pipes to the rear, sound is all modulated in the rear axleback section so choose your sound from (straight through as above) plus stock sounds amazing but obviously quiet, to DG marriage savers which are an intermediate step to J-pipes.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Best option would be 2.5" 4 into 1 primary headers into a 4.5" collector stepped down into a catless 3.5" straight through system.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Legit, this question is asked more times than I care to count.

Sound is subjective. Go look on youtube.

The general consensus is:

Xforce = Cheap ####ing rubbish that sounds **** fits **** and is ****.

Manta = Good medium point.

Defillipo/KPM = The top end.

Defillipo is Walkinshaw so dont ask.

Size, 2.5" and 3" has no effect on performance. The difference is how obnoxious you want to be. IMO you can ONLY get away with a 3" on a Defillipo/KPM system otherwise they sound like a lose arsehole letting a fart rip.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Grens on the money with the systems. 3" is loud and generally where you'd go if you were forced induction and/or big cam. 2.5" is sufficient for everything else. There's many configurations with headers but try y's are the go fir low and mid torque where as 4 into 1 are suited for top end power. Only go catless if you're in NZ otherwise you face a massive fine.

Legit, this question is asked more times than I care to count.

Sound is subjective. Go look on youtube.

The general consensus is:

Xforce = Cheap ####ing rubbish that sounds **** fits **** and is ****.

Manta = Good medium point.

Defillipo/KPM = The top end.

Defillipo is Walkinshaw so dont ask.

Size, 2.5" and 3" has no effect on performance. The difference is how obnoxious you want to be. IMO you can ONLY get away with a 3" on a Defillipo/KPM system otherwise they sound like a lose arsehole letting a fart rip.

ss4work

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ssv ute
Thanks boys also is a certain size or system going to drone more or less when cruising around that 100kmh?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Xforces are droney peices of ****.

AFM/Auto will typically always have a little bit of drone. You can limit it by having J pipes and a whole bunch of other rubbish mods, manual you should be fine.

Im not sure if 3" drones more or less than a 2.5" you typically cant tell because the drivers usually have their foot to the floor 24/7.

Like I said. 2.5 and 3 is about how loud you want to be. Anytime someone says 3" is for more power, walk away from them (even in FI applications the point is almost moot). Listen to a few and make your own mind up. Remember, they sound great when you first get it. But imagine having that same sound ALL THE TIME. When you start the car in the morning. Driving around town etc. 2.5" is loud but at normal driving you can get away with not causing to much commotion.

If I had the money, id buy a Defiliipo. I brought a Manta system. Has that distinctive rumble from the H pipe exhaust that a DF has. Doesnt drone that much at 100kph but isnt Stainless and doesnt look as pretty as the DF.

As for extractors. The bigger you get 1 7/8 primaries for example. The louder it is. However, you will make your power in a different area. IE: Ive got 1 7/8 primaries. Low down power is quite meh. But high end is amazing. You can fix it to some degree with tuning, but not compeltely.

I would recomend 1 5/8 4 into 1s and a 2.5" in either KPM, Manta or Defillipo.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Well clearly my advice wasn't taken.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Best option would be 2.5" 4 into 1 primary headers into a 4.5" collector stepped down into a catless 3.5" straight through system.

I would recomend 1 5/8 4 into 1s and a 2.5" in either KPM, Manta or Defillipo.

Well clearly my advice wasn't taken.

Never heard of 2.5 primary's with 4 to 1 collector

Catless is illegal so no wonder why that got ignored, unless your living in NZ

Also never seen a twin 3.5" cat back system, off the shelf to suit VE.

Best doesn't mean 'race spec'

Even the V8 utes race series don't use an exhaust anything like what you described. Not saying your wrong just way out left field with what is generally is common practice.