Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Exhaust Setup for a WN Caprice with OEM Parts?

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice, R32 GTR Skyline
I have recently required a pair (I actually have 2 pairs now) of flange type VF2 Ute Bi modal mufflers.
I will be retrofitting one pair to my WN Caprice with the Ultimate Conversion Wiring kit.
Some people have said that the bi modals alone still done give enough volume when open.
So a couple of questions:
Is it true that the sedan/wagon bi modal mufflers are louder than the ute?
What is the best OEM factory bolt on mid section (HSV, GTS etc.) I can use without having to retune the car to give it a bit more bark and a nice note when the bi modals are open?
And no, i dont want to just go out and buy a full aftermarket exhaust system.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I have recently required a pair (I actually have 2 pairs now) of flange type VF2 Ute Bi modal mufflers.
I will be retrofitting one pair to my WN Caprice with the Ultimate Conversion Wiring kit.
Some people have said that the bi modals alone still done give enough volume when open.
So a couple of questions:
Is it true that the sedan/wagon bi modal mufflers are louder than the ute?
What is the best OEM factory bolt on mid section (HSV, GTS etc.) I can use without having to retune the car to give it a bit more bark and a nice note when the bi modals are open?
And no, i dont want to just go out and buy a full aftermarket exhaust system.
I can tell you this that my 2013 MY14 Caprice V that has the L77 6 LTR Engine (AFM) with the stock rear mufflers sound like NOTHING, It was SHISSSSSSS and more SHISSSSSSSSS. Yes that damm quiet but when I put the 2016 Ute Bi Modal on the car the car sounded like a v8 when you start it in the garage even with the Bi Modal SHUT. Now it I open the Bi modal the car has a deeper Rumble in it. All I need now is a tunnel to drive through with the Window open. LOL.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Apparenty you can get 3 to 4 different mid pipes from the GTS and other but they have the Ball not flange on the end that's the biggest killer + I suspect the MID pipe to be longer to suit the Long Wheel Base. Who knows with a different mid pipes they will give you a different sound
Thanks for Member Mattricho that gave me this.
From GTSR, Flange Front, rear Ball
8a029efa-061e-4da4-add6-5cdb8c29fb28-jpeg.210634

From Standard GTS Ball front, Ball rear.
a2cb479f-fa47-48ee-a956-95d73d435af1-jpeg.210635

The Below should be mine one except it has flange on the rear not ball but has flange front. Also it not X connected and has no "H" in the middle like the above two
6b1f4b9b-0f62-413b-bfe8-2ef6f56fed54-jpeg.210636

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

Remember the passengers side rear bi modal ute mufflers (driver side OK) the hangers I had to cut them off and re-position them the width of the stud itself (around 12MM, use other hangers from old mufflers as I needed more length to weld them on.) otherwise the mufflers will be to close the the passengers side rear quarter heat shield. Also I found the chrome tip to be short by 20mm

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can tell you this that my 2013 MY14 Caprice V that has the L77 6 LTR Engine (AFM) with the stock rear mufflers sound like NOTHING, It was SHISSSSSSS and more SHISSSSSSSSS. Yes that damm quiet but when I put the 2016 Ute Bi Modal on the car the car sounded like a v8 when you start it in the garage even with the Bi Modal SHUT. Now it I open the Bi modal the car has a deeper Rumble in it. All I need now is a tunnel to drive through with the Window open. LOL.

Yeah i have a 2014 Caprice V as well. So I am eager to see how it sounds, but it wont be for a few weeks yet as I am just about to move house and do some minor renovations.
I'll make sure i go to a mates place when i fit them up as he has a hoist and does custom fabrication, so if any adjustments need to be made, we will have everything there ready to go.
What material are the exhaust made of? Stainless or mild steel?
If i decide to go with a mid pipe, changing flanges is the least of my worries, as they are easy to cut and weld if needed.
Its just whether there is a difference in length or not.
Also those images you put up are not working for some reason.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if you want to increase the volume using stock parts with bimodals you want to get a center muffler delete and you dont need a tune for it at all.

you can get a factory mid section like this
GTS-Mid.jpg

or you can get a center muffler delete and weld it in to your current mid section like this
center-delete.jpg

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
For a 2.5 straight through centre section that ^^^^^^^^ represents great value,set of aftermarket mufflers and your away.

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
@R32GOJIRA as long as you have factory catalytic converters (400 cell I think) and all the O2 sensors You shouldn’t need a tune.
You can get a maloo mid section with bolt up flanges. I’m not 100% sure if the Ute and caprice V are the same though.

View attachment 211225
https://www.planetparts.com.au/hsv-gen-f-maloo-ute-2.5-exhaust-centre-pipe-with-o
https://www.planetparts.com.au/hsv-gen-f-maloo-ute-2.5-exhaust-centre-pipe-with-o

Can anyone confirm if a ute mid section will fit a caprice? I assume it would, but want to make sure first.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
What material are the exhaust made of? Stainless or mild steel?
Stainless, but a Chinese Stainless because a good quality stainless like 314 or 316 would show issue of corrosion like I had on the Original Mufflers. My Caprice was the original owner lived 1k away from the ocean