Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Exhaust Setup for a WN Caprice with OEM Parts?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Can anyone confirm if a ute mid section will fit a caprice? I assume it would, but want to make sure first.
Most of the time in my life I have to guess work and cross my fingers when I do things but consider both the ute and the caprice has the engine in the same place and both cars are long wheel base I would say the mid section to be the same not unless the Engine pipe is longer on the Caprice that allows to have the same length mid pipe but my guess is NO for this.

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice, R32 GTR Skyline
Most of the time in my life I have to guess work and cross my fingers when I do things but consider both the ute and the caprice has the engine in the same place and both cars are long wheel base I would say the mid section to be the same not unless the Engine pipe is longer on the Caprice that allows to have the same length mid pipe but my guess is NO for this.

I suppose i can always lengthen or shorten it if needed. Will still look nice and stock for the fun police.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah ok, so its 409 stainless. No probs.
Off Topic
Can I ask you a quick question. When I got the Caprice I noticed a slight WHINE (yes Auto) in first gear only. Took it to a Holden dealer to upgrade the Maps and Radio S/W and at the same time I got the tester there to take the car for a Drive with me in it and he said its normal for these auto to do this as his Marloo HSV ute does the same with the same gearbox 6L80 E. STRANGE!!

Last edited:

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Off Topic
Can I ask you a quick question. When I get the Caprice I noticed a slight WHINE (yes Auto) in first gear only. Took it to a Holden dealer to upgrade the Maps and Radio S/W and at the same time I got the tester there to take the car for a Drive with me in it and he said its normal for these auto to do this as his Marloo HSV ute does the same with the same gearbox 6L80 E. STRANGE!!

Yeah mine does it too. Just on take off when you accelerate from a stop. But its only for a second or so. Im pretty sure its just how the torque converters are set up.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I suppose i can always lengthen or shorten it if needed. Will still look nice and stock for the fun police.
The cops will say Hang on the Caprice did not come out with Bi Modals. Anyhow I'm happy with my set up as If I make it noisier by deleting the center mufflers it might give me the dreaded drone in the AFM mode.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah mine does it too. Just on take off when you accelerate from a stop. But its only for a second or so. Im pretty sure its just how the torque converters are set up.
Yes the same and thanks for that. Now I can sleep tonight.

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Id be surprised if the cops actually knew that kind of stuff lol.
I think if you delete the centre mufflers on the Caprice mid section you will get the drone, but if you put in a maloo mid section with the "x" section, it evens the exhaust note out from what I've read, so i might see how we go. Can always change it back if i dont like it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you want to increase the volume using stock parts with bimodals you want to get a center muffler delete and you dont need a tune for it at all.

you car get a factory mid section like this
GTS-Mid.jpg
What car did the Mid pipe come from?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Id be surprised if the cops actually knew that kind of stuff lol.
I think if you delete the centre mufflers on the Caprice mid section you will get the drone, but if you put in a maloo mid section with the "x" section, it evens the exhaust note out from what I've read, so i might see how we go. Can always change it back if i dont like it.
Yes we have choices to use but at the same time the Caprice is a Luxury Car and Luxury cars seem strange to have to much noise like a extra modified VF Redline because you would expect all Redlines to be noisier so it a balance time for us Caprice owners and this is the reason why we go to the efford in fitting and wiring up the bi modal mufflers. It a Balancing act.