Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Exhaust Setup for a WN Caprice with OEM Parts?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yep that’s right, Turn the car off and it’ll stay closed. It seems to stay in whatever position it was in before shutting car off.
Turn the car on and it doesn’t budge, where as the drivers side one will close immediately . Looking up the pipe it doesn’t seem to open and close smoothly when operated. (I took a video I’ll upload. Hard to see but have a look)
I’m going to switch the motors around to see if that solves issue and if I can replicate fault on the other side. That’ll prove a faulty motor. Will try that with the wiring too. Hope it’s not the actual valve inside that’s faulty.
See when I got the controller from the ultimate wiring mob from Sydney I tested it on the floor of my garage with the mufflers sitting on the floor so If I had a issue I will find out very quickly and if I had a issue like yours I would swap the actuators leads over to see if or if not the issue followed that one lead. If your leads go outside under the Battery (the passengers side) I would disconnect the Drive side actuator and feed it back to the Passergers side to see what happens.

vxbris

Reaction score
See when I got the controller from the ultimate wiring mob from Sydney I tested it on the floor of my garage with the mufflers sitting on the floor so If I had a issue I will find out very quickly and if I had a issue like yours I would swap the actuators leads over to see if or if not the issue followed that one lead. If your leads go outside under the Battery (the passengers side) I would disconnect the Drive side actuator and feed it back to the Passergers side to see what happens.
Yeah I did all the testing before install and it all worked as It should. This has only started to play up in the last week. I’ll definitely be trying to switch over the wiring to see how that goes. And then do the motor swap if that doesn’t work. Have a feeling it’ll be the actuator inside, it seems sluggish and doesn’t seem to close all the way. Or that could be the motor not having the balls to drive it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have a feeling it’ll be the actuator inside, it seems sluggish and doesn’t seem to close all the way. Or that could be the motor not having the balls to drive it.
You could take the motor off and try and operate the flap manually and feel for any binding... I’d assume it should move freely with only spring tension being felt but you can always do the same to the other side and compare the forces between the two...

Last edited:

vxbris

Reaction score
Take the motor off and try and operate the flap manually and feel for any binding... I’d assume it should move freely with only spring tension being felt but you can always do the same to the other side and compare the forcEs between the two...
Yep good idea. I’ll give that a shot.

vxbris

Reaction score
This is what it’s doing. Hard to see but the movement isn’t smooth like the other side.
When opening you may notice it gets all the way to the end of travel and hesitates.
And when closing it does the same. Hard too see but it’s definitely not operating the same as the other muffler.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You could take the motor off and try and operate the flap manually and feel for any binding... I’d assume it should move freely with only spring tension being felt but you can always do the same to the other side and compare the forces between the two...
Yes I would do this . for memory the spring is strong to keep it open.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Carbon build up providing resistance ?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is what it’s doing. Hard to see but the movement isn’t smooth like the other side.
When opening you may notice it gets all the way to the end of travel and hesitates.
And when closing it does the same. Hard too see but it’s definitely not operating the same as the other muffler.
If you take the actuator off Completely you should be able to see it work correctly and feel if it getting stuck or jammed.