Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Exhaust Setup for a WN Caprice with OEM Parts?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Has any tried to or have brought a new maloo 2.5" mid section and if so how much $ I am starting to think after market might be easier as am having trouble finding second hand , not what i really want to do but I think aftermarket is going to be cheaper and better for me in nz probably should have tried a bit harder earlier, live and learn i guess
????
All you need to do is get any vin number of any Maloo ute and ring your holden dealer in NZ. I used to do this but I think Carsales or Gumtree Australia hide the VIN Number

edit: full of spelling errors

Last edited:

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I have a VF1 SSV Ute. I did the exhaust 3 or 4 years ago. I wanted it to fit like factory so I got the GenF extractors cats and mid section with the x-pipe . These were all just a straght simple swap. It was all interchangeable. Even O2 bungs!
I bought the mid section from a guy who got it to put on his sedan but it was too long. LWB only. The mid had the flanges which were the same as the originals.
I fitted this setup with the stock rear mufflers, but it was VERY quiet (no bi-modals on VF1)
I then bought the VE maloo rear mufflers as they fitted the ute perfectly (GenF maloo are different as they have a different rear bar).
These are bi-modals but even permanently open they are not too loud. Whisper quiet if you hold the valves closed, so they stay open all the time.
I've had no issues at all with this setup. No squeaks rattles or clearance.
For a finishing touch I got my standard tips welded on. They look much better than the HSV tips which are alloy and always looked dull. Also it has the standard look.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Nice geoff6666 that is exactly what I was wanting to do but is proving to be a lot harder than I thought I will keep trying for a while before going aftermarket

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
E3 Maloo mufflers are way too quiet, even with the vacuum bimodals open permanently...
Mine got fitted on the Redline.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
E3 Maloo mufflers are way too quiet, even with the vacuum bimodals open permanently...
Mine got fitted on the Redline.
Some people say the standard vf bimodals sound better ? Are they any louder as I was hoping for a bit more noise but not to loud . I rang a gmsv place today and he thinks the may have some secondhand systems he is going to ring back tomorrow ,fingers crossed

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Some people say the standard vf bimodals sound better ? Are they any louder as I was hoping for a bit more noise but not to loud . I rang a gmsv place today and he thinks the may have some secondhand systems he is going to ring back tomorrow ,fingers crossed

The VF bimodal mufflers are probably the best standard mufflers fitted to a Commodore.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VF bimodal mufflers are probably the best standard mufflers fitted to a Commodore.
Just think When my Caprice bi modal are open all the noise is stopped only by a small hot dog muffler and that it. so the exhaust comes out from the cat then to the X pipe then the hot dog muffler and after thus it find itself in the Bi -modal muffler as when its OPEN is STRAIGHT OUT. BROOOOM, BROOOOOOM but surprisingly when I shut the Bi modal noise it very quiet. Best of both world.

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice, R32 GTR Skyline
I picked up a VF Maloo mid pipe yesterday :)
Cant wait to fit it up with the bi-modals.
If everything goes well, I may be able to get my hands on another if someone is interested. Just not sure of the price yet.
I know there is one in sydney, but he wants a bit much for it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I picked up a VF Maloo mid pipe yesterday :)
Cant wait to fit it up with the bi-modals.
If everything goes well, I may be able to get my hands on another if someone is interested. Just not sure of the price yet.
I know there is one in sydney, but he wants a bit much for it.
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!1

Just in case you pipe is like mine.
Dont forgot.
Only had issues on the Passergers side ONLY. Driver side was OK
1/ the Engine side of the pipe Check they are (both) the same apart if not expand them. Measure new and old to find this)
2/ the centre pipe on the passengers side gets VERY close to that BRACKET on the Diff so I cut off with small angle grinder the that steel (Only small amount) on the edge to give it clearance.
3/ when fitting the passengers side bi modal I had to cut of the two rubber supports studs and re weld them the width of the stud itself so the muffler will go close to the middle of the of the car and the tips are in the middle not one side. ( PS I used old shi.t mufflers studs because if you cut them and re weld them you lose length of the originals. Otherwise this it was a OK fit
Also UTE mufflers used on a UTE has a flat rear bumper bar but the caprice is rounder bar so you will notice a difference i the chrome tips. not unless you want to make the Chrome bit longer by 15-20MM on ONE of the two exhaust tips.
Have Fun.

DONT RUSH , TAKE YOUR TIME TO DO THIS>

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!1

Just in case you pipe is like mine.
Dont forgot.
Only had issues on the Passergers side ONLY. Driver side was OK
1/ the Engine side of the pipe Check they are (both) the same apart if not expand them. Measure new and old to find this)
2/ the centre pipe on the passengers side gets VERY close to that BRACKET on the Diff so I cut off with small angle grinder the that steel (Only small amount) on the edge to give it clearance.
3/ when fitting the passengers side bi modal I had to cut of the two rubber supports studs and re weld them the width of the stud itself so the muffler will go close to the middle of the of the car and the tips are in the middle not one side. ( PS I used old shi.t mufflers studs because if you cut them and re weld them you lose length of the originals. Otherwise this it was a OK fit
Also UTE mufflers used on a UTE has a flat rear bumper bar but the caprice is rounder bar so you will notice a difference i the chrome tips. not unless you want to make the Chrome bit longer by 15-20MM on ONE of the two exhaust tips.
Have Fun.

DONT RUSH , TAKE YOUR TIME TO DO THIS>
I think I'm not to far behind you age wise the only rush I do is when I'm down shifting with my foot into it in the fast lane I'm sure thats the Giz disappearing in the rear vision mirror lol slow and steady wins the race