Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Exhaust Setup for a WN Caprice with OEM Parts?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I think I'm not to far behind you age wise
It took me 3 days to Change the auto oil and filter on the Caprice V. When you get Old you become wiser thus you take your time when doing things.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
It took me 3 days to Change the auto oil and filter on the Caprice V. When you get Old you become wiser thus you take your time when doing things.
Oh I thought I was just old and dottery I have a lot of trouble getting down and up of the ground so I do try and plan using as little energy as possible to get the job done as good as able usually going forward doing things in right order step by step and stepping back to have a critical look helps and if not right don't beat yourself up but learn from your mistakes . Most things are easy once you know how

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh I thought I was just old and dottery I have a lot of trouble getting down and up of the ground so I do try and plan using as little energy as possible to get the job done as good as able usually going forward doing things in right order step by step and stepping back to have a critical look helps and if not right don't beat yourself up but learn from your mistakes . Most things are easy once you know how
Have the same issue but lately have suffered with Knee issue through arthritis. Also I complain to my wife a lot because up and down cause issue with my hemorrhoids and every time i get up I fart.LOL,LOl,
I laugh a lot and joke about death a lot because I have been dead 3 out of 6 times. One Heart attack and 5 Strokes so I say enjoy yourself and when I die and the wife passes on the kids will get just about everything.
Anyhow the wife bough me a Good Christmas Present, She got me another bigger TV the one me that I have been drooling about. Yes it a Sony 85 inch Z8H. This Tv is so good that NO Shop will have them on display so you have to get them from Sony itself.
By the way our Caprice V also go a present she got a NEW rear Lip spoiler and it looks good, I have to buy the Monaro a Present too because on the 22 December the Monaro will be 49 years old.

Anyhow back on Topic.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes magnums have the engine oil heat exchanger i not sure if its to heat the oil or cool it
That's shocking piece of engineering. I get the vision on the LSA engine they found the headers wouldn't fit at HSV, so they left the cast iron manifolds on a supercharged engine that needed headers the most. They could've easily used a different oil cooler set up that didn't interfere with a decent header the fools they are!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That's shocking piece of engineering. I get the vision on the LSA engine they found the headers wouldn't fit at HSV, so they left the cast iron manifolds on a supercharged engine that needed headers the most. They could've easily used a different oil cooler set up that didn't interfere with a decent header the fools they are!

The factory LSA manifolds are cast stainless steel and flow a bit more than the standard N/A manifolds.
They're also used modified for LS turbo applications.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The factory LSA manifolds are cast stainless steel and flow a bit more than the standard N/A manifolds.
They're also used modified for LS turbo applications.
They're virtually the same as LS3 manifolds and they certainly don't flow as well as the 340 headers. I get the impression it's like the poverty pack cream roof lining in the VF's and gauge deletion in the Gen F II's driven by cost saving strategies instead of sensibility.

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice, R32 GTR Skyline
So just before Christmas i installed a Maloo mid pipe with the SS Ute electric bi-modal mufflers.
I can definitely hear the V8 now, but surprisingly, even with the bi-modals open, it's not as loud as I was expecting.
Still a nice note, but a little more volume would have been nice.
I can definitely hear when the AFM kicks in now, as the exhaust note changes and does produce a slight amount of drone.
I didn't have to modify any of the hangers or anything, everything fit straight in perfectly.
Now I just need to fit the bi-modal controller.

If anyone is interested, I do have another pair of electric bi-modals with flanged ends (not ball joint).

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
So just before Christmas i installed a Maloo mid pipe with the SS Ute electric bi-modal mufflers.
I can definitely hear the V8 now, but surprisingly, even with the bi-modals open, it's not as loud as I was expecting.
Still a nice note, but a little more volume would have been nice.
I can definitely hear when the AFM kicks in now, as the exhaust note changes and does produce a slight amount of drone.
I didn't have to modify any of the hangers or anything, everything fit straight in perfectly.
Now I just need to fit the bi-modal controller.

If anyone is interested, I do have another pair of electric bi-modals with flanged ends (not ball joint).
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/fs-vf2-ss-ute-electric-bi-modal-exhausts.287047/
Glad to hear your back.
Yes When you get the Bi Modal controller going it will be quieter again when you want it to become quieter (Closed Valve) but for me I love it. Remember its a Caprice not a Redline. Funny thing is with the bi modals open the only thing that stops the noise coming out is the CATs and those small hot dog mufflers and thats it so I say the CATS must be a big restrictor for this. I cant hear Any Drone, Maybe its me. Yes its a easy job to do, maybe I fussy and did not like the 8 or 10MM out of the Passergers side so I modified it to be the same as the Driver side gap.

Last edited:

R32GOJIRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice, R32 GTR Skyline
Glad to hear your back.
Yes When you get the Bi Modal controller going it will be quieter again when you want it to become quieter (Closed Valve) but for me I love it. Remember its a Caprice not a Redline. Funny thing is with the bi modals open the only thing that stops the noise coming out is the CATs and those small hot dog mufflers and thats it so I say the CATS must be a big restrictor for this. I cant hear Any Drone, Maybe its me. Yes its a easy job to do, maybe I fussy and did not like the 10MM out of the Passergers side so I modified it to be the same as the Driver side gap.

Mine doesn't have any uneven gaps at all, they sit perfectly centered in the exhaust cutouts, otherwise I would have modified it as well.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
They're virtually the same as LS3 manifolds and they certainly don't flow as well as the 340 headers.
I could have got a set of 340 header but some beat me there. Arrrrrgh well there will be others one day.