Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best exhaust under $1.5k

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Seems pretty simple! So these all just bolt on with no fuss? It' seems like this is just the same as doing thr W375 just a hell of a lot cheaper.

Did you do an OTR and tune? If so what one?
When you say VF2 rear mufler you mean the one already on my car? Or a HSV one?

This is the most apealing option IMO
Hey Red,
It is a cheap and simple option amongst an array of other alternatives.
I did mine in the driveway at home. No fuss. Then had the cats fitted at Gentech in Canberra. These guys have done my tunes progressively too. Awesome to deal with.
Apart from the low cost, sound and power increase, what I really like is that (apart from the cats in my case) it's HSV. Never a question from Holden or the Police. It's always cool when someone says how good it sounds and asks what exhaust system I have, to answer "Its factory HSV".

The rear mufflers are the same as yours. I had the HSV electric bimodals. The Holden ones sound much better. Louder and better.
I see Duaned added the HSV midsection to his S2 and with similar other mods, the dyno said 284RWKW. Not sure what the W375 reads?

I used an Orssom CAI. I do like it. Good quality, looks OEM, easy to access the filter, it works and has a nice induction sound. But, the VCM is probably a bit better in performance terms and their side infil panels look great. The only downside in my mind is having to tilt the radiator back. I'm tossing up between the two for my Motorsport.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
But, the VCM is probably a bit better in performance terms and their side infil panels look great. The only downside in my mind is having to tilt the radiator back. I'm tossing up between the two for my Motorsport.

I've had to tilt the radiator with a couple of CAI's and when it's done it's almost unnoticeable, easily reversible and a small price to pay for the good looks something like the VCM provides.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Seems pretty simple! So these all just bolt on with no fuss? It' seems like this is just the same as doing thr W375 just a hell of a lot cheaper.
Did you do an OTR and tune? If so what one?
When you say VF2 rear mufler you mean the one already on my car? Or a HSV one?

This is the most apealing option IMO

CAI - VCM or Orssom or RotoFab for $500. All have different features and benefits.

Tune - lifetime tuning agreement that will see you through all bolt-ons like this for $750.

Exhaust - I've done some research and development into headers specifically for our car, the main compromise with setup above is that it is exactly half of ideal primary tube length and the pipe between the HSV tri-y and whatever catback is not really an extension of primary length but a single pipe you could treat like a secondary:
The length and diameter of pipe leading into the cat is critically important for tuning torque hence power development.
The type and position of cats can also have a big impact on performance, emissions, fuel consumption and cost.​
A simple rule of thumb with this connecting pipe is the Inner Diameter of this mandrel bend should 1/4" narrower than the cross section at the end of primaries at the header flange for optimum balance of torque and hp.
This is mated to stubby high flow 200 CPI steel 'barrel' cats as far back as possible to the catback flange.
This little intermediate bit will cost about $650-$750. So sort of changes the economy of things.

By comparison there are same design tri-y headers that have full length primary tubes in two proper sections already made up, with high flow cats ready to install to the stock catback flange for $900-$1000. Per the first response to the OP:
Set of Wildcats with HFCs, Maloo exhaust, bi-modal mufflers.
Good to start, get some more readies add collector for more performance, remote controller for bi-modals.

Wildcats are definitely an improvement but thinking ahead the best quality header combo utilising same design (but for when your engine is tuned for high performance) is a couple of hundred more than the $1.5k budget, without catback or mufflers.

The key consideration with Wildcats or HSV + stock cat or barrel + mandrel above, is no brainer ready to bolt up to stock catback flange. Because if you want to do it right first time from a tuning perspective you actually need a tuned secondary collector, but that just won't fit before the stock catback flange.

I used an Orssom CAI. I do like it. Good quality, looks OEM, easy to access the filter, it works and has a nice induction sound. But, the VCM is probably a bit better in performance terms and their side infil panels look great. The only downside in my mind is having to tilt the radiator back. I'm tossing up between the two for my Motorsport.

I've had both, the VCM is a PITA for maintenance so you really don't feel like doing it as regularly, which is an added frustration and not good for the car. Definitely sounds louder, arguably looks better with infills. You do realise there are infills avail for Orssom?

Im going to get a 2 1/2 inch xforce catback and its going to cost about 900$ inc install. Another exhaust place said they can do tips for around 450$. I just think that would be a waste as it wouldnt make much difference at all

Just clarify, you are forgoing headers, paying three times what clever money outlined above for catback (brand which didn't last me two years), and to boot are keen to pay someone $450 to tack on four little shiny overpipes where they poke out the bumper?

Last edited:

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Hey Red,
It is a cheap and simple option amongst an array of other alternatives.
I did mine in the driveway at home. No fuss. Then had the cats fitted at Gentech in Canberra. These guys have done my tunes progressively too. Awesome to deal with.
Apart from the low cost, sound and power increase, what I really like is that (apart from the cats in my case) it's HSV. Never a question from Holden or the Police. It's always cool when someone says how good it sounds and asks what exhaust system I have, to answer "Its factory HSV".

The rear mufflers are the same as yours. I had the HSV electric bimodals. The Holden ones sound much better. Louder and better.
I see Duaned added the HSV midsection to his S2 and with similar other mods, the dyno said 284RWKW. Not sure what the W375 reads?

So just a LSA mid section and some 340 headers? I'll be keeping a keen eye out!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
CAI - VCM or Orssom or RotoFab for $500. All have different features and benefits.

Tune - lifetime tuning agreement that will see you through all bolt-ons like this for $750.

Exhaust - I've done some research and development of headers specifically for our car, the main compromise with setup above is that it is exactly half of ideal primary tube length and the pipe between the HSV tri-y and whatever catback is not really an extension of primary length but a single pipe you could treat like a secondary:
The length and diameter of pipe leading into the cat is critically important for tuning torque hence power development.
The type and position of cats can also have a big impact on performance, emissions, fuel consumption and cost.​
A simple rule of thumb with this connecting pipe is the Inner Diameter of this mandrel bend should 1/4" narrower than the cross section at the end of primaries at the header flange for optimum balance of torque and hp.
This is mated to stubby high flow 200 CPI steel 'barrel' cats as far back as possible to the catback flange.
This little intermediate bit will cost about $650-$750. So sort of changes the economy of things.

By comparison there are same design tri-y headers that have full length primary tubes in two proper sections already made up, with high flow cats ready to install to the stock catback flange for $900-$1000. Per the first response to the OP:

Wildcats are definitely an improvement but thinking ahead the best quality header combo utilising same design (but for when your engine is tuned for high performance) is a couple of hundred more than the $1.5k budget, without catback or mufflers.

The key consideration with Wildcats or HSV + stock cat or barrel + mandrel above, is no brainer ready to bolt up to stock catback flange. Because if you want to do it right first time from a tuning perspective you actually need a tuned secondary collector, but that just won't fit before the stock catback flange.

I've had both, the VCM is a PITA for maintenance so you really don't feel like doing it as regularly, which is an added frustration and not good for the car. Definitely sounds louder, arguably looks better with infills. You do realise there are infills avail for Orssom?

Just clarify, you are forgoing headers, paying three times what clever money outlined above for catback (brand which didn't last me two years), and to boot are keen to pay someone $450 to tack on four little shiny overpipes where they poke out the bumper?
Great summary Monstar!
No, I wasn't aware of the Orssom infil. Will look into it. Thanks!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So just a LSA mid section and some 340 headers? I'll be keeping a keen eye out!
Or all 340..
I'd certinly checkout the retro fit Pacemakers Monstar refers to above too. Bit more cost, but they look and sound like a good thing!

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline

Exhaust - I've done some research and development of headers specifically for our car, the main compromise with setup above is that it is exactly half of ideal primary tube length and the pipe between the HSV tri-y and whatever catback is not really an extension of primary length but a single pipe you could treat like a secondary:

I dont want to spend over that 1.5k. And with the headeds il need a tune. When all i want is a decent sounding v8. Horses for courses

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I dont want to spend over that 1.5k. And with the headeds il need a tune. When all i want is a decent sounding v8. Horses for courses
Fair enough. What car do you have? The VF2 sound pretty good in standard trim. If you have a VF, then a VF2 system cheap off eBay may meet your requirements.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
2 1/2 inch manta mild steel cat back will come in less than 1500. Got this system on my wagon, no drone and sounds mint