Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best fan clutch brand?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
A fan clutch will never fully engage unless something is wrong with it. They're a great design really - incredibly reliable.

As soon as you see the clutch leak a little fluid (easily visible as a wet patch), it's time for a new one. Sometimes they don't leak though and just lock solid. Spinning when the engine has been switched off is a giveaway of a failing fan clutch. They shouldn't do that at all.

Some people have had success adding the clutch fluid - apparently it's available through toyota but not sure why you'd bother.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
A fan clutch will never fully engage unless something is wrong with it. They're a great design really - incredibly reliable.

As soon as you see the clutch leak a little fluid (easily visible as a wet patch), it's time for a new one. Sometimes they don't leak though and just lock solid.

Yes they are a great idea. I think my fan clutch is failing because when the engine is hot and the ignition is turned off it keeps spinning for a few seconds. I let the engine cool down a bit and then started it up again and switched it off but the fan kept spinning for about a second then it stopped. I started the engine again and stopped it and then the fan stopped immediately. The clutch is dodgy on this one.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Spinning when the engine has been switched off is a giveaway of a failing fan clutch. They shouldn't do that at all.

That should be carved in stone ... or on the box ...

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
A fan clutch will never fully engage unless something is wrong with it.

Some people have had success adding the clutch fluid - apparently it's available through toyota but not sure why you'd bother.

I guess some people love to tinker :)

Last edited: