Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best ground points for Oil Pressure gauge

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what everyones used in the past on the VR/VS for earth points for an electronic oil pressure gauge.

I've just hooked one up on the statesman using the 12v positive and earth from the cigarette lighter for the gauge and earthed directly to the block on my electronic sender.

Pressure readings seem accurate at idle but as soon as the brake lights come on or I turn the headlights on my readings dip by about 10psi.

I've re-earthed the sensor on a few different spots on the block and the body which isn't making a difference so I can only assume it's where i've earthed the gauge itself in the cabin.

Can anyone recommend any good spots inside to try?

Cheers

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Seems like you are getting a voltage drop, if it is only happening at idle.
Check all your connections and make sure they are not loose and that are making proper connection.
Soldering and heat shrink are the best.
Check to see if you are getting the correct voltage output from the alternator.
Or maybe the idle is too low.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
may also be your 12v tap....run the 12v to the fuse block under the dash. Find a fuse that is live when car is running, ignition rather than acces
Cig lighter sockets get crappy with age and use..the back light can also cause issues in that area...Also check the brake light/tail light earths they are prob bad as are most commies

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I agree, check the 12+ as your reading is only the differential between 12+ and signal.
Also check earthing on the gauge itself