Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best LED headlights for VE SV6 SII commodore.

jakescicluna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 S2
Hi,
I was looking into switching out my Halogen headlights for some LED ones preferably that glow a blueish colour. I was wondering the legality that surrounded this as well as if anyone had some good LED units to suggest thanks :).

My car is a HOLDEN COMMODORE SV6 VE -VE 3.6L PET LFX V6 24v DOHC VVT Direct Inj {210kW} - 2013 model. Any help is appreciated

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Auxito’s mate

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Legality? It’s illegal unless the headlamp assembly was designed for such globes (hint: just because the globe fits doesn’t mean the headlamp assembly was designed for such)… And if you pay attention to the LED globe product packaging, you’ll likely see a small print along the lines of “off road use only” which simply means they are not legal.

Futher more, if your headlamp assembly is a reflector type, adding LED globes will more than likely bling oncoming cars. If you have projector type headlamp assemblies, they better control light output so less blinding may occur.

Just get some quality halogen globes and drop the desire to look cool ;)

Last edited:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Legality? It’s illegal unless the headlamp assembly was designed for such globes (hint: just case the globe fits doesn’t mean the headlamp assembly was designed for such)… And if you pay attention to the LED globe product packaging, you’ll likely see a small print along the lines of “off road use only” which simply means the6 are not legal.

Futher more, if your headlamp assembly is a reflector type, adding LED globes will more than likely bling oncoming cars. If you have projector type headlamp assemblies, they better control light output so less blinding may occur.

Just get some quality halogen globes and drop the desire to look cool ;)
Sauerkraut :p

Dozer31

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE S1 calais
Hey mate.
I would just install the Nighteye led lights from ebay which I have installed in my 07 calais.
Lights are very good but you will have to modify the back of the dust caps as the fan on the back of the led globe will hit this as its not deep enough.
A set of these are only about $35.00 so well worth it.
Light are 6000k so more of a white colour.

jakescicluna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 S2
Hey mate.
I would just install the Nighteye led lights from ebay which I have installed in my 07 calais.
Lights are very good but you will have to modify the back of the dust caps as the fan on the back of the led globe will hit this as its not deep enough.
A set of these are only about $35.00 so well worth it.
Light are 6000k so more of a white colour.
Will have to give it a look at thanks

Tangmopuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series2 Calais
Hi,
I was looking into switching out my Halogen headlights for some LED ones preferably that glow a blueish colour. I was wondering the legality that surrounded this as well as if anyone had some good LED units to suggest thanks :).

My car is a HOLDEN COMMODORE SV6 VE -VE 3.6L PET LFX V6 24v DOHC VVT Direct Inj {210kW} - 2013 model. Any help is appreciated
Check out https://superiorvisionaustralia.com/product/vevf/

As they use passive cooling system not fan system so you can fit it perfectly in the housing with original dust cap. I installed them on my 2010 Calais for 2 years now and still working fine.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Check out https://superiorvisionaustralia.com/product/vevf/

As they use passive cooling system not fan system so you can fit it perfectly in the housing with original dust cap. I installed them on my 2010 Calais for 2 years now and still working fine.
Interesting looking product with 6000 lumens of white light output :p

Unfortunately that website makes no claim these LED lights are ADR compliant and there is no statement whether these LED lights are “off-road use only”. So the onus is on yne buyer to figure out the obvious…

And acording to ADR regulations, a headlight with an output over 2000 lumens requires both a washer and self levelling system be installed. Hense use of these LED lamps in Halogen assemblies which don’t have washers and levellers isn’t compliant with ADR and renders the vehicle unroadworthy…

These rules are to protect other road users from glare and overly bight dazzling light. Such is a bigger issue when LED globes are used in reflector headlamp assemblies as compared to projector headlamps assemblies. But even the later can result in dazzling oncoming cars if the lights are poorly adjusted and/or fat people are packed in the back seat with more crap in the boot… The rules are there for a reason…

OP should keep that in mind…