Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best method of programming new keys...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have had my 2001 VX SS from new so the keys are 18 years old, car has only done 94,000km so the keys have not had a lot of use which is why I think they have lasted so long.
Today one of the keys would not unlock the car, luckily I carry both keys so used the other.
When I got home I tried the dead key to see if it would start the car and it did, straight after tried it to unlock/lock and it is working fine again. Not sure what is going on but realise I am on borrowed time.

Need thoughts on the following, rang a local locksmith and he said he would supply a genuine Holden key fob and program it for $90, he said they would clone a working key and set it all up while I waited then just drive away all done, nothing for me to do.

Rang Holden they wanted $89.50 for the key fob and $71.50 to program it, $161 dollars in total, but they sourced the codes by plugging in their scanner to the cars computer and programming the key that way.

Has anyone had any issues using the locksmith cloning way of doing the keys?

Not sure if the VX had rolling codes like the newer cars and if they did whether cloning the key retains that feature.

I also got conflicting advice on why the dead key started working again, locksmith said maybe the battery in the key got a recharge as I used it to start the car, Holden said that was not true as key can not receive any charge from the car.

Leaning towards the cheaper option but don't want issues if cloning the key causes problems.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Had mine done by a locksmith a couple of times now without any issues.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I have had my 2001 VX SS from new so the keys are 18 years old, car has only done 94,000km so the keys have not had a lot of use which is why I think they have lasted so long.
Today one of the keys would not unlock the car, luckily I carry both keys so used the other.
When I got home I tried the dead key to see if it would start the car and it did, straight after tried it to unlock/lock and it is working fine again. Not sure what is going on but realise I am on borrowed time.

Need thoughts on the following, rang a local locksmith and he said he would supply a genuine Holden key fob and program it for $90, he said they would clone a working key and set it all up while I waited then just drive away all done, nothing for me to do.

Rang Holden they wanted $89.50 for the key fob and $71.50 to program it, $161 dollars in total, but they sourced the codes by plugging in their scanner to the cars computer and programming the key that way.

Has anyone had any issues using the locksmith cloning way of doing the keys?

Not sure if the VX had rolling codes like the newer cars and if they did whether cloning the key retains that feature.

I also got conflicting advice on why the dead key started working again, locksmith said maybe the battery in the key got a recharge as I used it to start the car, Holden said that was not true as key can not receive any charge from the car.

Leaning towards the cheaper option but don't want issues if cloning the key causes problems.
No issues to report also. I did hear it can log a security tamper type code if scanned. Obviously someone that is ortherised using a genuine keypad was my concern, if just a joe blo doing the job maybee a concern.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

This is the standard price from a random Mister Minit in the shops, which I've also used for Commodore keys without any issue. Depending on who does the key they might give you instructions to follow to program the key using the car, also had no issues with this. If it doesn't work just take it back till it does or get a refund.

Realistically they've been doing heaps of those types of Commodore keys for over 20 years, you'd kinda hope they have it down pat by now.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Thanks to everyone for their input, much appreciated, funny thing is the key that would not work this afternoon is now working fine even over quite a long distance, still being 18 years old I guess I will bite the bullet and get a couple done.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thanks to everyone for their input, much appreciated, funny thing is the key that would not work this afternoon is now working fine even over quite a long distance, still being 18 years old I guess I will bite the bullet and get a couple done.

Sometimes you just need to program them in again,
Had to do this to a friends car,
It didn't work, programmed it in again and it works,
then didn't want a work again, put it down to the Battery is Flay in the Key Head,
how did he find that out, He needed to use his Spare urgently and it didn't work,
So he got caught out, He purchased 2 Key Heads from the locksmith I have used a few times before,
brought them around, moved the Original Key Blade to the New Key Heads, programmed them in,
never had a issue since, and the rest is history ;)
Probably last him another 13 Years.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
They lose sync with the rolling code putting it in the ignition and using it resyncs it so it starts working again.you can use map keys and programmer from Super Cheap since you have working keyheads

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
They lose sync with the rolling code putting it in the ignition and using it resyncs it so it starts working again.you can use map keys and programmer from Super Cheap since you have working keyheads

I think you may be right with that as the key that was not working yesterday has been operating fine all day, maybe I have been using the other key all the time as they are both on my key ring, I carry both as the keys are pretty old and carry both as a back up, looks like the key I was not using got out of syn and as you say as I tried it in the ignition to start the car it has reset its self. When they clone a key say at a locksmith does the rolling code feature still work, only reason I ask is Holden program new keys by logging into the cars computer using Tech2,

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Yeah it's still gonna use a rolling code or the key would only work once

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Yeah it's still gonna use a rolling code or the key would only work once

Thanks mate, appreciate your response, as a matter of interest what happens with say a spare key that might be hung up and not used for months would that get out of syn when you went to use it, just trying to get my head around how all this works.