Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best mods on a low budget

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
I can't really afford a full exhaust and an otr and tune right now (vf ssv wagon). So is there something you can or should get just for starters, or do I need to just wait till I can afford the whole thing in one go?

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Rapid Exhaust's DG Pipes or Marriage Savers will run you around $300-$500 and give your car a great note.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I haven't changed exhausts on my V8's except my Clubby already had XForce and I damaged the rear pipe and I had to replace as catback, I just replaced with XForce again. From my understanding a catback only isn't going to give you much if any power increase, but replacing the exhaust manifolds with extractor type should give a better power increase. So I'm thinking if the OP wants to limit the spend right now a question would be are you looking for best power increase given the dollars, or is the priority a better exhaust note? If it's exhaust note priority then given the OP has an auto (AFM) what is a good sounding catback for an AFM car (no doubt there have been many threads that have already posed the same question).

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Mate you pay for what you get. If you buy cheap **** you'll get cheap ****.

Save up and buy something decent.

Also worth stating what your budget is.....

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Mate you pay for what you get. If you buy cheap **** you'll get cheap ****.

Save up and buy something decent.

Also worth stating what your budget is.....

Say I had 1k to spend right now, obviously that isn't gonna get me a nice exhaust, it could get me an otr and tune, but not much point if I want to add an exhaust later, but is there something I could get first for maybe a bit nicer note to the car and add to it later, or best to wait to get the whole exhaust all at once?

Tony310864

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder Ute
I have not long fitted a full RedBack system to my ute that is not to bad, it was just under $2200.00.
You could start with just the cat-back add add headers and cats later, starting with the cat-back won't require a tune.
There will all ways be differing reviews as to what is good and what is rubbish, the most expensive gear is not always the best.

Tony.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Say I had 1k to spend right now, obviously that isn't gonna get me a nice exhaust, it could get me an otr and tune, but not much point if I want to add an exhaust later, but is there something I could get first for maybe a bit nicer note to the car and add to it later, or best to wait to get the whole exhaust all at once?

I fitted a Manta system and get a lot of comments how good it sounds. Wasn't much over a grand. About $1300 fitted, was a mild steel system didn't bother with stainless.To me this was the best start point. Can go headers etc later and already have the exhaust sorted

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Another great option is visit a few reputable exhaust shops and you will be able to score a set of used HSV headers, cats, and midsection on the cheap. Then you can choose an axle back to your liking. The performance difference between this and full aftermarket is sweet bugger all when you have fitted better flowing cats. But with the HSV cats etc. again no tune is required. Probably will set up back between 1k - 1.5k.