Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best of both worlds

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hi guys can I have separate tunes for street driving and drag racing not exactly sure what that difference would be but maybe transmission setup, fuel economy, converter slip ? Any ideas suggestions

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u can but its also just as easy to have it all in the one tune, auto can act differently for dive and power and manual modes so drive can be stock and power can be little harder with revised shift times and manual mode it shift when ever u want, there is enough scope to have cruise area good economy, the mids good torque and full throttle all out

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep engine tune is the same but trans is where the major differences will be with power button as said above. Got mine set up with stage 2 transgo kit and had it retuned. Will hold all gears until manually shifted.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Yep engine tune is the same but trans is where the major differences will be with power button as said above. Got mine set up with stage 2 transgo kit and had it retuned. Will hold all gears until manually shifted.
Dam so you are saying I can't have the power of a top fuel the economy of a pirus the handling of a super car except when in limousine mode wrapped up in my commodore all at the touch of a button I am guttered

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Well... depends on what you’re doing.

Higher Lower MAP readings (higher vacuum levels) when throttle is closed means it won’t be injecting much fuel. Lower MAP signal when at wot you’ll always be shooting for the same AFR to make best, safe power.

You can lean them out a little more but then you can lose a little responsiveness and torque, which requires more throttle input so it’ll use more fuel. When afr’s at cruise are perfect it won’t use heaps of fuel and will be very crisp and responsive and will be safe and reliable.

When it’s tuned right, efficiency, reliability and power are all maximised.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
all u need to do is setup idle and cruise so they are best torque to get best economy, setup all the mid for best torque to get the low to mid power, then setup high load to suit hp, so that any various throttle/map loads give u what u want, for example u don't use full throttle and not want power so why detune it in one tune and have power in another, cruise u always want best economy, one tune can do it all

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
all u need to do is setup idle and cruise so they are best torque to get best economy, setup all the mid for best torque to get the low to mid power, then setup high load to suit hp, so that any various throttle/map loads give u what u want, for example u don't use full throttle and not want power so why detune it in one tune and have power in another, cruise u always want best economy, one tune can do it all
Ops mental note I must not drink and write lol . It all makes sense in the light of day . Thanks for your imput guys I understand what you are saying about good tune eco when needed power when foot in it to be honest it all seems a bit like black magic at times but I am learning ever so slowly

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Ops mental note I must not drink and write lol . It all makes sense in the light of day . Thanks for your imput guys I understand what you are saying about good tune eco when needed power when foot in it to be honest it all seems a bit like black magic at times but I am learning ever so slowly
Ok guys one more question if using water or water meth injection would a flex fuel setup take care of the tune or does that only work with ethonal . Is it able to be knock activated ? What is the best way to tune it and use it . I am thinking more timing , cleaning of valves and or maybe lower octane fuel . E85 is not really available here so can't really go down that road

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ok guys one more question if using water or water meth injection would a flex fuel setup take care of the tune or does that only work with ethonal . Is it able to be knock activated ? What is the best way to tune it and use it . I am thinking more timing , cleaning of valves and or maybe lower octane fuel . E85 is not really available here so can't really go down that road
What are you driving? I don't think water/meth is necessary for most everyday street/strip cars. It's really just a cooling aid for high heat setups (high boost, no intercooler, hot intake mani etc)
You would tune water/meth to come on with boost. If it knocks, its too late.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
What are you driving? I don't think water/meth is necessary for most everyday street/strip cars. It's really just a cooling aid for high heat setups (high boost, no intercooler, hot intake mani etc)
You would tune water/meth to come on with boost. If it knocks, its too late.
Ok car is n/a 6.2 I am a bit concerned about intake valve build up and maybe there is some performance available with meth /water injection . Yes I do realize it is mainly for forced induction but there are some guys running it with n/a cars I would tune for e85 but as I said not readily available here