Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil for 2002 VX SS series II gen III 5.7l

SYK.05S

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series II gen II
Hi guys I have a rear main seal leak Im going to get it done when I get paid but in the mean time what will be the best oil to buy to top it up. It has a cold air intake

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Many people assume they have a rear main seal leak when in fact it is not that common. There are a few a other places that oil can leak and drip down the rear of the engine making it look like the main seal. Leaking rocker covers, oil pressure switch, and cam position sensor are some of the culprits. My Cam Position Sensor was leaking very badly but no leak was visible from the top, it wasn't until the transmission was removed that it became obvious.
I've posted this pic a few times now but it is the best way to explain what I mean.

rear main seal a.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Many people assume they have a rear main seal leak when in fact it is not that common. There are a few a other places that oil can leak and drip down the rear of the engine making it look like the main seal. Leaking rocker covers, oil pressure switch, and cam position sensor are some of the culprits. My Cam Position Sensor was leaking very badly but no leak was visible from the top, it wasn't until the transmission was removed that it became obvious.
I've posted this pic a few times now but it is the best way to explain what I mean.

View attachment 202850
Can the cam position sensor be replaced with the manifold and trans still fitted? Cam sensor is the last place i haven't looked on my calais. It only leaks when the cars running. Just replaced the rear main and sump gasket. Rechecked rear main and it's definitely not leaking from there - it wasn't even leaking from the rear main in the first place.

SYK.05S

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series II gen II

View attachment 202850
We’ve checked it out and yes it’s a rear main seal leak but I do appreciate what you have posted and I’ll keep a eye on it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Can the cam position sensor be replaced with the manifold and trans still fitted? Cam sensor is the last place i haven't looked on my calais. It only leaks when the cars running. Just replaced the rear main and sump gasket. Rechecked rear main and it's definitely not leaking from there - it wasn't even leaking from the rear main in the first place.
Unfortunately the intake manifold has to come off but it's not too difficult. I had never done it before but found it easier that I thought.I decided to replace my Cam Position Sensor that was leaking just for the hell of it. The car wouldn't start, I ended up removing the manifold about 7 times changing between the old and new sensor. I got pretty good at removing the manifold. In the end the problem was the MAP sensors which I also replaced while I had the manifold off. The MAP sensor I bought was unknowingly for a turbo LS1, put the old one back in and started straight away.