Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil to use in a VY 3.8 L Supercharged?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 3.8L S
Best oil to use in a VY Calais 3.8L Supercharged? Through some looking around this mobil1 (see picture) is pretty popular but just wanna make sure I'm putting the right stuff in. Opinions welcome, cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1275.PNG
    IMG_1275.PNG
    263.2 KB · Views: 620

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
What do the books with the car tell you to use?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I'm very surprised the GMH books would use a brand name.....Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Usually the grade is given in the books. What does it say? It has been for the many Holden and other vehicles I've owned.
I've always followed the manufacturers instructions and have never had a problem. Just changed the oil regularly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd hazard a guess and say the VY manual specifies 10w-30 (but I could be completely wrong).

Before going out and buying said oil a couple of questions,

How many kilometers on the odo?
Do you know the service history of the car?
Do you know what oil it is currently running/how does it run?

If the engine is in perfect condition then I would use the recommended oil but having said that, the Supercharged engine is a lot harder on the bottom end/bearings than the standard V6 so I would go with something a little thicker and more durable to help look after those bearings.

Personally I run a 15w-40 semi-synthetic on a 190,000km engine. I also live in NZ where the average temperature is a lot more moderate than what you have in Aussie so something a little thicker really wouldn't hurt.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Oil.......Books???????????????

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Would think that a 5w30 is a bit thin for your engine, supercharged v6 isn't exactly a high tech engine so you'd get away with running something a bit thicker than what holden specifies... Have a look on the Mobil 1 website and see what they recommend

SimonL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Vy Calais L67
10w
Best oil to use in a VY Calais 3.8L Supercharged? Through some looking around this mobil1 (see picture) is pretty popular but just wanna make sure I'm putting the right stuff in. Opinions welcome, cheers
10w 40 synthetic

MrRhys

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 L67 Calais
According to the manual, for optimum fuel economy use SAE 10W/30 SJ or SL, ILSAC GF2 or GF 3 engine oil. If this is unavailable, use SH, SJ or SL engine oil, with viscosity of 20W/50 or 15W/40