Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best option for spare key?

GregV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Hi guys,

Am in the market for a spare key for the VE and am a bit bemused at the cost.

The local Holden dealer wanted $190 for a standard key blank, $50 for cutting and $65 to program = $305. The flip key was an extra $27 I think.

I found a local locksmith who said they can supply, cut and program from this Monday for $250 for the standard key and $285 for the flip key.

Holmart has the flip key blank front part for $66, plus the back part with the chip for $110 and then have to get it cut and programmed - so still in the high $200's.

Are there any cheaper options around that anyone knows of?

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
maybe this well help but I'm not sure ,,,

here we found a way to copy the chevy Tahoe key , maybe it'll work for the VE ...

#1 :just get the key cut, but without programming,

#2 :start the car with the old key, then remove it

#3 :within 5 seconds, insert the new key , and turn it to ON, and wait foe the system check to end

the new key should work now ;)

I don't know about the commodore, I really hope it works ...

GregV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Thanks Davway, I am up in Brisbane but I have a sister that now lives in Ferntree Gully so if it works, will get her to pick it up and send to me.

Will let you all know how it turns out.

GregV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Thanks Boy1236

Will have to try that also. I used to have a VT and bought a spare key from a locksmith. I think to get that to work after it was cut, had to do something similar to what you suggest. Once I find a blank and get it cut, will try that although I think if they are charging $65 to reprogram (and want my car for 1.5 hours) - there must be more to it than that).

GregV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
I looked on the US Pontiac G8 website and they have a 356 page manual on there as pdf which has the key programming instructions - Pontiac | Pontiac Vehicle Owners Manuals

I think that the Personalisation Options are disabled on the Omega/Lumina - is there a way to get the Remote Key option enabled? Is there a combination of buttons to press when starting the ignition that will enable this?

This way, can buy the key blade and immobiliser section from Holmart for $66 and $110 respectively and then just have to find someone to cut it ($50 up here). Will at least save $65 in programming if can access the Remote Key option in the menu.

The key is purchased as two sections: the key blade and immobilizer section (A) and the remote keyless entry and remote start system section (B).
Do not join the two key sections until programming is complete.
To program a new section (A):
1. Insert the original, already programmed key into the ignition and start the engine. If the engine does not start, see your dealer/retailer.
2. Remove the key from the ignition.
3. Insert and turn the new section (A) to ON/RUN within five seconds of removing the original key.
4. Turn the new section (A) to LOCK/OFF. Section (A) is now programmed.
To program a new section (B):
1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the new section (A). The vehicle must be in P (Park).
2. Select Remote Key from the personalization menu.
3. Select Program.
4. Press Q and W on the new section (B), at the same time, until you hear two beeps.
5. Repeat Step 4 for all other keys, including keys that require programming or ones previously programmed to the vehicle. Any key not reprogrammed will
be erased.
6. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
7. Join sections (A) and (B) until they click. Do not join the two key sections
until programming is complete.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
All i can say is, i am glad my car came with 2 keys.

Cheers.

GregV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
even better my missus found her lost keys on the weekend so no need to get another one cut - she thought she lost them at the beach but it was in some junk in the garage.

It almost to the stage of putting your car keys on the home and contents policy for loss or theft like my watch and the wife's jewellry. Add up the VE key ($250), immobilizer remote for the 4WD ($90), garage door remote ($60), five or six door, windows, gates and mailbox keys, 4WD key etc, pushing around $450 and a lot of aggravation to replace the set.

Dibble Locksmiths in Capalaba will supply a standard key cut and programmed for $250 which is the cheapest I found, going the Holmart option supplying the two parts of the keys yourself was $176 plus shipping of the keys from Vic plus cutting ($50) plus programming ($65). Looks like only way to save money on them would be to work out how to enable the programming of the immobiliser yourself like the Americans can on the G8.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
maybe this well help but I'm not sure ,,,

here we found a way to copy the chevy Tahoe key , maybe it'll work for the VE ...

#2 :start the car with the old key, then remove it

the new key should work now ;)

I don't know about the commodore, I really hope it works ...

You cant remove the key whilst the car is running....