Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best performance mods for 03 VY SS

BigRedCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi

just picked up my new 03 VY SS few days ago...

wondering whats the best performance mods to do for it in a reasonable price range without supercharging....
bit new to V8s all previous cars have been turbos...

current mods are 2.5" exhaust,pacemaker extractors and SS induction kit...

all help much appreciated :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Mafless tune.
OTRCAI.
Cam.

SS inductions kits aren't worth what they ask. Live and learn I guess.

BigRedCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yer ss induction kit was on it when i brought it so didn't come out of my pocket....

what is ruff price for those mods... or does it vary where ever you go...

and ruffly what sort of KWs are you looking at afterwards?
thanks

Clubby racer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY clubsport R8 SE
hey man whats doing, i have a VY clubsport R8 SE and ive just built my car, got some pretty gud deals as well.
KEY: dont rush, u will be amazed on how much a performance shop like castle hill performance will drop there prices in the comp against other shops, they are making plenty off u, talk them down with other quoets for a lower price, they will come down, promise you that.
I dont think im getting the best deal atm but im not doing to bad for my self, even though i do think i could find cheaper im happy with what im paying for.
The best bang for buck is cam and OTR intake and mafless thats your best bet. Gud power street car. i got a 234/236 cam at .600". and alot of other stuff but dw about that atm, ive built a track car, this is just to get you started. the OTR intake a mafless tune will make a difference so that is a must.
If you have the money the dual valve springs are the way to go but not really nessary.
Now for the HEAD, big thing to think about, will deffently make the difference and u WILL feel it, just a real pain to pay for as well dont forget, it will increase your RWKW but not as much as u really pay for im affraid, HOWEVER, u will hit the HIGH power alot quick, your car can breath and will be more responsive and you u get to max power alot quicker and you will hold that power more until u have to change gears. NOTE: NOT THAT CHEAP and its not reeeeeaaaallllyyyyyyy that necessary but its damn gud to have. and finally, clutch, you NEED a cluth, nothing special like a twin plate and all that crap, just a heavy duty clucth and remember if u get the brass plate clutch, it will grab alot harder and not be as enjoinable to drive, the ceramic clutch is fine, easier to drive as does the job. The clutch kit will give u pressure plate, fly wheel and clutch and that will be about 1800, not cheap but if u start getting into the 300RWKW (up in the 400RWHP) you need to start speeding the money. But dont think about that now man, get the cam and OTR intake first and see how you go, u will be impressed. OH and btw, 4 into one extactors, u will get a noticeable power difference up high and everyone says you loose low down power, well yer u kinda do but man, its so small you dont notice, and when u have cam, it wont matter, u cant notice it so relax about that part.

Hope that helped man. If u want to talk more just give us a yell and we will go more into it.

Clubby for life
have fun

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
if you just want abit more power and not break the $$$

get a 224 range cam, alloy OTR, maffles tune.
my ute had them mods with 1 3/4 pacemakers, twin 2 1/2 zorst. did 372HP! cant beat the sound of an lumpy V8.
but i got sick of that and went beyond the rest and now run HTV2300 blower and 383 stroker! in the shop being built. but for that setup will cost you +20K my pockets are feeling it now, but i love cars like a drug.

jacksoncroucher

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
i would do diff gears depending weather its auto or manual and the type of drving, if its manual i think 3.9 diff gears would be a good mod, or even 3.7 if its auto, i have 3.46 in my auto v6 ute and it made a world of difference and my economy has not suffered