Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best possible oil to use in alloytec v6 in summer temperatures ?

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Basically anything, if your worried go into a car shop, ie autobarn or supercheap and ask for diesel oil that wont poison a catalytic convertor. That is the only real concern with it.
It doesnt need to be overly expensive oil for it. I can try find what I usually use if you want, but I know my friend uses the repco brand stuff and his runs almost as good as my car (main reason it doesnt is he cant drive well at all and has caused a few problems of his own).

The new range of Repco oils in the silver bottles are all made by Penrite ;)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Basically anything, if your worried go into a car shop, ie autobarn or supercheap and ask for diesel oil that wont poison a catalytic convertor. That is the only real concern with it.
It doesnt need to be overly expensive oil for it. I can try find what I usually use if you want, but I know my friend uses the repco brand stuff and his runs almost as good as my car (main reason it doesnt is he cant drive well at all and has caused a few problems of his own).

With diesel oils it's also the amount or detergent in the oil and the ash content. Some diesel oils are not recommended for petrol engines unless they run on gas. For example I have some Valvolene Super Diesel here and I rang them up and it's not recommended for my Ecotech, reason is it has to much detergent and sometimes loosening sludge, deposits etc can increase oil consumption and get stuck in oil galleries, pickup filters etc.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
That is true, but if you run the oil regularly then there will be alot less buildup of sludge. Also if you dont clean it, either with flushing oil or diesel oil then the galleries can eventually get buildups of sludge.
When it comes to cars there is no perfect solution really, if you wanted a motor to run near 100% all the time you could always buy 2 motors and rebuild one every month and run the other. But that is a rather costly way to do it, not to mention labor intensive.

The end of the day you need to decide whats the best for your budget, mechanical knowledge and your lifestyle.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
With the Alloytech's (I have a 190kW engine as found in the Adventra) would you run an oil flush first and if so, which one is the best to use?

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
If you have the time then an oil flush then diesel oil would keep it in fairly good condition for alot longer. Any of the oil designed for flushing is good really. The hard part is actually finding it and using it correctly, main thing to remember is NOT to drive it you dont want to put load on the engine when its in there.
Im sure someone on here has a detailed guide for using engine flushing oil.

ADR 40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina..... VEII Equipe Sportswagon
The site ‘Car Bibles’ has some good info and pointers for most.
Not a bad write up in here about what you want to know.

You could also try Mainlube.
The company that maintains our Heavy Plant & Earthmoving equipment use their gear for flushing, and they tell me it’s pretty good.
They do have a detailed guide on its use at the website, but it’s best to contact Mainlube before considering using it.

oldm8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore staion wagon
Hey guys and girls, oldm8 here, new member! was just reading some questions and answers about oils on this thread, im new to the vz commodore and i recently had a lube service done at 240km since then my car has been shuttering a little more then usual, could this be the wrong oil? oil used was penrite 15w40 cheers !

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Holden recommend 5W-30 for the V6 under all driving conditions.

pablo_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hey guys and girls, oldm8 here, new member! was just reading some questions and answers about oils on this thread, im new to the vz commodore and i recently had a lube service done at 240km since then my car has been shuttering a little more then usual, could this be the wrong oil? oil used was penrite 15w40 cheers !
Probably better of starting a new thread for this I think, rather than reply to an old thread, (most people don't read threads to the end before replying, so now you bumped this thread, most likely people would reply to the original question and not even read/notice your post, so just wasting their time and yours)
For the record I recently got a 3.6L VZ with 230k km on the clock and it's used nothing but penrite HPR10 changed every 15k km and still going strong. All highway driving every day, (trip computer showed ~7.6l/100km, ~900km to a tank in it's history/expectations when I first drove it.)

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
Sorry but alil lost,

Hello,
I'm wondering would anyone know any good mechanics around brisbane area,that know Alloytec engines,
I've just got a 05 v6 vz commadore, 212kls but clean for its age,
I noticed it lacked power compared to the older vy when I got it,
So i changed oil,filter,fuel filter,spark plugs,air filter,ultratune tested coils an said everything seems fine,
But yet the engine still shakes a bit,ildes at about 600rpm but the car it self shakes a small bit,
Shakes more waiting at the lights,
Plus it seems very slow compared to the older vy, the vz is very laggy,foot pedal not very responsive,
Wonder is there any fix to that,