Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best power upgrade for ECOTEC V6 ($1000 worth)

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Hey again, Just wanting some ideas on what's the best engine mods to do to a stock VX Ecotec using around the $1000 mark....besides K&N panel filter and cold air intake, The Vt/Vx already has a CAI wich im sure would take plenty enough air for a stock engine. just really looking for the best bang for my $1000...thats all im really wanting to spend right at the moment... Also what power increase would i see?...
going from a VP to a VX i really noticed the VX has less low/mid end power...alot smoother though..the engine has 100.000K.
Thanx again

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
You'd definitely get the best bang from high ratio roller rockers... Check out mace engineering, they'll be able to sort you out ay mate!

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Thanx for the reply, I have been thinking about high ratio rockers but have heard u only get the benifit from 4000RPM+, I very rearly go near/over that, im just looking for better of the mark power and mid range power(Ecotec's are horrible for mid range power -i have found), Obvisley top end would be good to... what ratio is the BEST recomended for stock ecotec? without having to do the valve springs or anything like that?
Thanx again...

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
Plenum and manifold spacers will set u back about $370 that will help with the low/mid torque and a 69mm throttle body $220. All will help you out. Just send MACE a pm to help you out. If you get roller rockers go for 1.9:1's

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Either way, your still going to have a nugget 6...the little bolt on's help salvage a bit of a the torque...But your not going to see real results out of $1000 on a stock eco.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
I'd be looking at diff gears for better off the mark acceleration.

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
If you want decent performance you bought the wrong car man, a vs with the ecotec feels so much more powerful than the vt/vx. I have both a vs wagon and a vt sedan both with extractors/exhaust and the vs feels like a totally different car, the torque of the ecotec is way better suited to the vs and no amount of money is worth spending to make a vt go slightly better, u should either sell it and buy a v8 version or some other car that is designed to perform. Probably not the answer u want but fact is u bought a family sedan :( at least they look nice though, spend money on extractors/exhaust and some fat rims ;)

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
My VT wagon got chopped repeatedly by a VS wagon last night.... Even when I reacted quicker he caught me by the top of 1st gear :( My VX II would have smashed him though.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
If you want decent performance you bought the wrong car man, a vs with the ecotec feels so much more powerful than the vt/vx. I have both a vs wagon and a vt sedan both with extractors/exhaust and the vs feels like a totally different car, the torque of the ecotec is way better suited to the vs and no amount of money is worth spending to make a vt go slightly better, u should either sell it and buy a v8 version or some other car that is designed to perform. Probably not the answer u want but fact is u bought a family sedan :( at least they look nice though, spend money on extractors/exhaust and some fat rims ;)

It would have more to do with power to weight ratio, the vs is heaps lighter then the vt. Its the same motor after all

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Sorry guys i should have explained my self a bit better at the start.
Im not at all after a super quick cool look at my car its the fastest in town sort of deal,Coz i know thats not at all possible with the money i want to spend, All i was after is a BIT more power, As i said, I have found that the ECOTEC's are shocking as lowish/mid range power and im wanting to spend a little money on trying to resolve that problem, Im sure for $1000 there will be a good improvement from the standard power range, I just need to know whats the best way to go about it.
Im really heading toward High Ratio Rockers, 1.9.1 OR 1.98.1,Wichever will be better?, I have a VY engine BTW. But maby there is a better option wich is the reason of asking the question. Obviosly the best power for the money is better. Exhaust is already done
But again guys im not after a V8 supercar im just after a bit more power than the Vt/Vx have to offer (standard),For now anyway.
Thanx again all for your help...