Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best pressure can paint type/brand for engine plastics?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I have done my engine cover on the Ecotec with a heatproof paint, and it worked quite well. Then I did it again, different colour, full sand back and prep but some parts are peeling. Since then I've pissed the cover off and polished the plenum, however I'd like to paint the rocker covers and would like advice on whether heatproof paint would be the go or not?
When I did the engine cover last time and it peeled, I think I might have done too thicker coats and the weather was cool.
Any professional advice appreciated.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Not professional advice, but normally VHT Wrinkle Plus would be the stuff to use. However, your rocker covers (assuming they are the originals) are fibreglass so this won't give particularly good results. I'd be searching for a high temp fibreglass paint/coating, and I usually try to paint on a warm, low humidity day, as just seems to work best. You might be able to use a base coat for non metals then have more options for paints over that, but I'm really only guessing there. Hope that was of some help.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Im not a professional but I painted my rocker covers about 6months ago and been about 10-15k... And are still fine today....
I just used the heatproof paint from supercheap, sanded the rocket covers, rubbed it down with wax and grease remover the started painting, light coats 1st then got some heavier coats later.. Think I done about 6 coats and has help up well (except for when I scratched it with a screwdriver but that will take off any paint :()

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Any professional advice appreciated.

lol, professional advice about spraying from a can???

so what are the rockers made out of? fibreglass? thats kinda hard to believe. VHT sticks to pretty much anything. but scuffing it up, prepsoling and doing a thin coat works fine eveytime i have used it. going too thick will mean itll chip easier, you only really need coverage, which you can do in 2 or three coats.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thanks, guys, I'll use VHT again with thinner coats and warmer/drier weather. Interesting to know they are fibreglass, I just presumed plastic.
As for "professional advice" well maybe I should have said "advice from people who've done a fair bit of spray can work"?

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Rocker covers aren't fiberglass...

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Depending on how much you want to spend you CAN get 2k mixed into aerosol cans, get an acrylic basecoat made up with the colour of your choice then get a 2k clear made up. Would cost you nearly $70 for 2 cans but would mean you would get the best possible finish from a spray can.

And if done right and flex primed etc you should have a very hard wearing paint.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Yeah you guys are right, the covers are plastic not fibreglass. I just had a vague memory from when I changed mine that the hole (haha) and rougher parts underneath seemed like fibreglass. Really sorry if I led you astray with that. :$