Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Sound System Brands

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
This thread is funny :dance:

I like the 16 year old who claims he knows alot about car audio :p

B

BXHD

It is a crap and pointless thread because in the end, like all the other "what brand" threads, it will result in a brand war, with everyone dissagreeing with each other, and so forth.The only opinions that aren't going to be completely different, will be from those who have half an idea on what their actually going on about.

he just wanted to know what brands would be best for his price range. whats so bad about that? if you hate these threads so much then why go on them and complain? its annoying. he just wanted help and im curious aswell.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
This thread is funny :dance:

I like the 16 year old who claims he knows alot about car audio :p

ha ha agreed :)

i just love reading these kind of threads as they give me a good laugh, dont bother posting any advice anymore as nobody listens anyway as has been shown time and time again

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok, i may have got a bit wound up last night, so to begin with i will apoligise to Ausfitter, and then also to anyone who i may have upset, or offended.

I guess you guy's just haven't seen the amount of times the same, or simialar question has been asked before.It always ends in a **** fight, because there is no answer to the question, which i tried to explain earlier.

Like i said, it dosen't matter what brand it is, so long as it-
-Sounds good
-Fit's within the budget
-And is of reasonable quality, for the money you have spent

If your new into car audio, and are considering a particualr component ect, then sure, list it in detail, and somebody will be able to provide you with usefull infomation regarding the product.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Another thing to remember for those who are new to the scene, when looking at different components from different brands,is that most of your "mainstream" brands, offer products aimed at certain levels within the market.Most manafactuers cater from anything to the most basic entry level, to some of highest end gear you can find.When you go into a store, and view certain products, you have to remember, a store only chooses the products from the suppliers, that they think they will typically sell the most of.You will rarely find a store, that actually holds an entire range from any given supplier.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
haha... the OP is probably thinking JC members are a bunch of girls! All this whinging & bickering going on.

I think it's a reasonable question to ask for a newbie to audio... he's gotta start somewhere... and going to places like JB HI ... is a waste of time. The OP was just after a bit of guidance. Some people only buy products from shops, while some buy of ebay (like me, I do both).

Some people like to go with brands that people know... while others like to experience new products. Brands are kind of show-off material, if you speaking to someone about your system and they are unfamiliar with non-mainstream brands then they think your a loser that's got a cheap system. Also, when reading car audio mags, you don't hear about the non-mainstream products... all the hype is about Rockford, SoundStream, Focal etc etc gear.

Ehh... to the OP, listen to the gear, some people are happy with a $500 system ... others $2000 isnt enough. It's got to fall in your budget, there are things you can do that are less expensive to get better speakers for instance, cheaper headunit.... single-din, non-dvd, non visual screens etc are alot cheaper. I would spend good money on front speakers... they are most important IMO.

Joe, I haven't gotten back to you because I am at the moment unsure if I'm keeping my VS or buying a different car .. so it's currently on hold. Also, have you sold any of your subwoofers to a Perth JC member? I would like to have a listen to them.

To the OP - In "MY" opinion, I like Alpine headunits, not sure why tho, I like the look of them, I think they are easy to use aswell.. and the remotes are better than others I think. Pioneer headunits are also pretty good... I got my gf a Pioneer headunit, it beeps when you turn your car off... kinda annoying.. haven't figured out how to turn it off! LOL. Speakers ... I think Alpine make pretty good speakers, you got the Type S speakers which are lower end and the Type R's which I think are really good (my gf got the Type R splits in her car), I've got SoundStream TRC6N splits in my car, I think these are pretty decent aswell. If you got the cash... Focal are really good SQ speakers.

Hmm.. well I hope in my rant I've helped someone ... in some way. As you can see, I'm a mainstream person ... although I had a Hifonics Olympus 2412 sub (I don't think Hifoninc is that big in Australia (I imported it)) which was really good... my gf has it now.

Edit: My Opinion

Headunit brands - Alpine, Pioneer
Speaker brands - Alpine, SoundStream, Focal
Subwoofer brands - Hifonics ... (haven't had experience with other brands really, had a Alpine Type R 12" which was decent for lower end stuff)
Amp brands - Alpine (I think make decent amps, others don't agree), I had a Hifonic to power the Hifonic sub (Brutus 2608d, had the power and no problems)

A lot is personal opinion, and also different brands are targeted for different setups, ie. Focal is targeted for Sound Quality.

It depends on how important Sound Quality or SPL is to you. I personally would never go anywhere near Sony or Kenwood gear. Actually I would stay away from anything that JB Hi sells... but that's just me.

Start off small... I wouldn't make a budget and try to buy everything for that amount...

.... think my rant might of gone of topic... it's taken me like over 30mins, due to the fact I'm at work.

Last edited:

D34N

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bella - VK Wagon
My 2 Cents.

- Headunit : Big fan of Alpine Head Units - even the entry level, to high end scale are just nice.

- Speakers : Once again im an alpine fan, they have a nice variety of series for different budgets.

- Subs : JL Audio is my own favourite here.

- Amps : Alpine / JL Audio Amps are my personal pick.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...I got my gf a Pioneer headunit, it beeps when you turn your car off... kinda annoying.. haven't figured out how to turn it off! LOL...
It's just a setting in the initial menu... You usually turn it off, then press and hold the main knob until the time pops up, then turn the warning beep off.

It beeps to remind you to take the face off before leaving your car.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
It's just a setting in the initial menu... You usually turn it off, then press and hold the main knob until the time pops up, then turn the warning beep off.

It beeps to remind you to take the face off before leaving your car.

lol .... Ill let me gf know!! it's a pain lol. swear it didn't say it in the manual.. thx for that StoneX