Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best techniques for running in a new motor

Redhot_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0
Hi guys,

New to the forums, so g'day :thumbsup:

I'm picking up my VZ SS this week and I wanted to ask the best way of running in a new engine.

I've never owned a new car before.

I've stumbled across this site and wondered if anyone has followed this method.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

All comments and contributions welcome.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Hmmm, I'm not convinced about that bloke's running-in methods. IMO, If it was true, it would be common knowledge and everyone would be doing it.

I've been told you just don't over-rev it (say 3000 rpm max) and you try to always vary the rpm and load. In other words, driving on a freeway at constant rpm and engine load is bad. Try to change gears (up or down) or accelerate/decelerate to vary the rpm and engine load.

That's what I've been told anyways, I'm sure others here will be able to add more...

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Theres the two methods, basically whats said above and what has been said in your post.

Alot of guys that I know are actually running it in the hard way and having good results. Then again alot of them are doing that on the dyno and giving it a hard time for a 30minute session etc and going from there.

I'm yet to decide, I will be running in my engine soon and I still think I'm going to take the easy way out of it.

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Running in a new car is a little different to a new engine. Diff, brakes, gearbox and suspension all benefit from an easy start. Warm it up before (better with driving than idling) hard work, no constant RPM for the first 5-800 km's. Gentle clutch use and no excessive slipping and if you are stationary pull it out of gear. A new car engine should be ok without having to bed in the rings as this is done on the dyno when it was built. Low tension rings need the right bore finish and a bit of load to bed in/seal up. These guys use the track for their dyno and dont expect 10 years out of a motor. Don't let it labour when it's still tight as that will cause damage. Keep the revs down early on. All common sense really.
You will notice the difference as the km's build. It should be ready for 6500rpm by about 8-12000km's in my opinion.
Good luck with the new wheels
Daza

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
use Penrite oil,drive it ezy,dont bag it up and treat it like a women,nice slow progress! :)

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ever wonder why your car will burn oil

well, it's because when a motor these day's leaves the shop floor, they dont require running in.

if you wanna make sure your car drives nice, drive it like you normaly would if it's gonna brake, it will brake within the first 20,000 km anyway's

cheers
garth

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Garth said:
ever wonder why your car will burn oil

well, it's because when a motor these day's leaves the shop floor, they dont require running in.

cheers
garth

Sorry mate I've gotta disagree wholeheartedly

New motors do require running in

A test- buy a car, run it for 1000 k's, get an oil test done. There would be an insane amount of wear material present.

Holden had lots of glazed bores from running Mobil 1 too early. Rings didnt seat.

Especially bikes- have to run them in properly

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
I used to run engine in on a dyno before conducting tests on them. The main thing is warm the engine and do not nurse it as the bores will glaze. Drive the engine normally but avoid constant rpm. Accelerate to a speed of say 20kph above (expressway recommended) the speed you entered the expressway say 60kph up to 80kph for about 10mins then slow down to 70 for about 10 mins then up another 20kph for 10mins slow down 10kph etc etc - whatch speed limit. Whatch temp gauge to make sure it doesnt overheat. But most of all don't worry as most engines these days are pretty good in terms of having chosen pistons that have the right expansion rate to match the block and rings and bore honing which don't give any problems. Change oil regularly particularly in the first 10000k to flush out crap from the assembly and wear particles from the bedding in process.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
i got the 308 engine out of my vh ss and got it rebult with a mild cam, forged pistons etc.. and i was jus told by the mechanic to take it easy and not to rev it higher than 5000rpm for the first 800km's.

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
if u dont mind me askin RedHot_SS u did not just buy a vz ss thunder ute did u?