Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best trade for Mature age apprenticeship?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
All good points. The trouble is I like all the technical trades, at least in theory.
Have worked with mechanic's but don't want to be doing that full time. Electrician/ Air Conditioning mech sounds like the best option I think. It seems more technical rather than heavy labour, and it appears quite easy to get local domestic work once qualified.
It's a big decision though to start a trade when already degree qualified in something else. But like Immortality said you live and learn!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't worry mate, you're not alone. I work a job that bores me to death and BS just saps your will to live. One day soon I will follow your lead and take a different road. Like you, I'm still trying to figure out what that road will be.

One thing about been a fridgy, I recon you always get covered in **** cause most industrial refrigeration units aren't well maintained and by the time they need attention you end up wallowing in some sort of industrial **** trying to work on it (well that's how it goes at my work anyway).

Ohh, and as for the dumb ****, according to my missus, I still do that regularly :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know what you're saying about being degree qualified and not wanting to do it any more. I have a Social Science degree and work with people in an office. I find i miss the blokeiness you get in other jobs. Things like **** stirring and not having to watch what you say. Plus yeah doing something with your hands rather than just tapping away on a keyboard.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do too. Got a commerce degree and worked with an accountant for a bit over a year and hated every second of it, plus pay and conditions were worse than a retail job (accountants know how to hang onto their money). Have since started a mechanical engineering degree, currently in the second year and really enjoying it so far.

Hope to start earning some real money in the next two years or so.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Lots of lads doing boulermaking, good $$$ and great jobs out there were you make some killer stuff. Can be dirty noisy but I love it

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Instrument Technician.
Its not one where you are likely to be doing any heavy work, but requires a lot of thinking and analytical skills.
But at the same time its a trade title that's dieing out due to it now being more of an Elec that goes onto further training in it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
. I find i miss the blokeiness you get in other jobs. Things like **** stirring and not having to watch what you say.

Unfortunately, this is the norm in most work places.....I call it the wowsers rules that have crept in.

About 10 years ago, I was "training" a 17 year old in tyre fitting.....After 2 weeks, I told him he needed to pull his head in and start comprehending what I was trying to teach him, because he was a useless turd, that'd end up with his head being taken off his shoulders by a tyre if he keeps going the way he is going.

At the end of this particular day, the boss had a chat with me at the end of the day, because I offended the "trainee" with my directness and the "trainee" threatened to report the boss over my comments.

End result...About 2 months later, the "trainee" was still doing the same stuff and I walked out of there....

Oh and sorry about the side track

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Youngen's VC, they just can't seem to know when it's time to stop sucking on mummy's tit and join the real world.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Youngen's VC, they just can't seem to know when it's time to stop sucking on mummy's tit and join the real world.

More to the point, youngins are getting it into their heads at school, that you have to treat them with kit gloves and be wary not to hurt their feelings.....Doesn't matter that they can kill themselves by not listening and the poor bastard that is in charge wears the crap that follows as a result

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Exactly like i said still sucking on mummies tit. Trouble is in the workplace mummy isn't there to say there, there Jimmy dont worry cuddle up to my boosem and i will make it all better. And the ones you don't hurt their feelings say yeah, yeah and act like they know it all.... And when the tyre explodes in their face or leaves the imprint of their body in the shed roof, the trainer cops an investigation for not showing him the safe way to operate the equipment.