Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best type of Torque Wrench?

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
What do you use, the Beam type or the Click type?

I'm looking to buy one, for general use for my automotive projects at home, and I'd like to be able to use it when I become a mechanic:w00t:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i prefer the click type. thats just me though.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Mine is a Kincrome one. 1/2" sq drive, 10-150 ft-lb's. Was the best torque range for automotive, easy to use, has ft-lbs on one side and Nm on the other so no need to convert, comes with a 3/8" sq adaptor and also a tuff case.
They have a lifetime warrenty on there products, I rounded off the adaptor doing up head bolts (which you shouldnt do, should of been using a 1/2" socket) and with no need for a recipt they said take it to any Kincrome dealer and all fixed no probs.
I got it from work so I get a discount but retail is still under $100, which is pretty good value when its a lifetime warrenty.
http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catalogue/search/product_display.php?partnumber=MTW150F
AirStrike :air:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i bought a snap-on digital click type, torque range is from 40Nm to 280Nm.....i had nothing else to spend my tools for my trade voucher on lol
its overkill but it will last forever. or until i need a new battery for the gauge:)
repco makes a pretty good click type which ranges from 40-160 Nm for $120

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Get something like this if your gonna use it often... Aussie made... !!!

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod2677.htm

That's the one I want. Well it's a lot of money to spend on a tool that might be used occasionally. I am stupid and would spend that even if I only used it once a year. :)

Btw, Sidchrome is made in China now. Not Australia. They used to be better when their tools were Aussie made.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I thought torque wrenches were really expensive, turns out I can get one for Christmas! BTW does the socket drive size matter or should I buy one wrench of eace size?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Generally the best type is a 1/2 inch and is suitable for torque-ing head bolts and various other heavy duty bolts. A 1/4 inch is also handy for smaller bits. :)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
That's the one I want. Well it's a lot of money to spend on a tool that might be used occasionally. I am stupid and would spend that even if I only used it once a year. :)

Btw, Sidchrome is made in China now. Not Australia. They used to be better when their tools were Aussie made.

Jeez there wont be any industry left in Australia the way it's heading !

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Generally the best type is a 1/2 inch and is suitable for torque-ing head bolts and various other heavy duty bolts. A 1/4 inch is also handy for smaller bits. :)

The way everything is going to torque turn tightening a 1/2 torque wrench is overkill. Torque turn is when a bolt is done to a smaller torque eg 30nm & then has to be tightened an extra 90deg or quarter of a turn.
Unless you are going into the heavy diesel game I would be looking at a 3/8 drive wrench.