Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best type of Torque Wrench?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The way everything is going to torque turn tightening a 1/2 torque wrench is overkill. Torque turn is when a bolt is done to a smaller torque eg 30nm & then has to be tightened an extra 90deg or quarter of a turn.
Unless you are going into the heavy diesel game I would be looking at a 3/8 drive wrench.
You have to be careful tho as some of the smaller torqure wrenches cant do the larger torque settings for things like head bolts.
AirStrike :air:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
You have to be careful tho as some of the smaller torqure wrenches cant do the larger torque settings for things like head bolts.
AirStrike :air:

Thats true Airstrike. I personally own a 1/2 drive torque wrench that I use on Earthmoving equipment that has not let me down. However since I have been into speedway & building numerous engines for my friends I have only once been able to use the 1/2 wrench as they are inconsistant with the smaller torques required. This is a torque wrench that is calibrated once a year.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
The way everything is going to torque turn tightening a 1/2 torque wrench is overkill. Torque turn is when a bolt is done to a smaller torque eg 30nm & then has to be tightened an extra 90deg or quarter of a turn.
Unless you are going into the heavy diesel game I would be looking at a 3/8 drive wrench.

Not really. Head bolts I did recently needed to be done to 120nm. I used a 200nm wrench and found it quite suitable.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
JBS would make em. Go a good brand if your getting a torque wrench they NEED to be good quality.