Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best V6 exhaust for price/sound?

Shmoovin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Ute
I was looking to upgrade from my stock exhaust because it's almost silent

How much would it cost to get good sounding and what type/size?

Asking because I know alloytecs are known for sounding complete ass

Thanks

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Do yourself a favour, don't do it. Worst waste of money I ever got talked into by an exhaust shop guy.
One day, when I can afford it, I want to have a complete new original exhaust system fitted.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
"Best V6 exhaust for price/sound?"

The factory fitted exhaust.

Shmoovin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Ute
Do yourself a favour, don't do it. Worst waste of money I ever got talked into by an exhaust shop guy.
One day, when I can afford it, I want to have a complete new original exhaust system fitted.
What did you get?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
It's a custom made twin 2.1/4" stainless steel system with a 2 in 2 out muffler between the cabin and the diff and another 2 in 2 out muffler at the tail.
The free-er flowing cats were the 1st mistake that resulted in a recommendation to replace the rest of the exhaust system to solve the horrible noise the new cats were causing. Then it was recommended to fit two 18" hot dog mufflers between the cats and the 1st muffler to help reduce the volume and the headache inducing drone created by the new exhaust system. Suffice to say the hotdogs had limited success.

If you want a nice sounding exhaust note from the V6 you'll need to add an extra two cylinders.

I think I have spent close to 3k all up on this exhaust system. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to spend the $700 on the one genuine replacement cat that was originally required, instead of opting for the pair of aftermarket free-er flowing cats.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Depends on you most people go for red back sports, Rhino is top of the line but big money, I my self have a rebel sports from cat to tip with twin outs, sounds good and cheaper the red back but yes the sound can be overwhelming at times, you can just change the resonator back half and get a nice sound without center for cheaper, its up to you in the end, you will never get the sound of the real thing.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Word of advice, don’t do it , not worth the money, and save yourself the eventual headache

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Depends on you most people go for red back sports, Rhino is top of the line but big money, I my self have a rebel sports from cat to tip with twin outs, sounds good and cheaper the red back but yes the sound can be overwhelming at times, you can just change the resonator back half and get a nice sound without center for cheaper, its up to you in the end, you will never get the sound of the real thing.

I haven't yet heard a nice sounding aftermarket exhaust system on a Holden V6. The good old Red 6 sounds better than the V6.
Having an auto behind the V6 only makes the mind numbing drone worse.

Shmoovin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Ute
It's a custom made twin 2.1/4" stainless steel system with a 2 in 2 out muffler between the cabin and the diff and another 2 in 2 out muffler at the tail.
The free-er flowing cats were the 1st mistake that resulted in a recommendation to replace the rest of the exhaust system to solve the horrible noise the new cats were causing. Then it was recommended to fit two 18" hot dog mufflers between the cats and the 1st muffler to help reduce the volume and the headache inducing drone created by the new exhaust system. Suffice to say the hotdogs had limited success.

If you want a nice sounding exhaust note from the V6 you'll need to add an extra two cylinders.

I think I have spent close to 3k all up on this exhaust system. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to spend the $700 on the one genuine replacement cat that was originally required, instead of opting for the pair of aftermarket free-er flowing cats.
Well I did visit the shop here and the guy recommended a 2 1/2 inch hotdog centre muffler rear..

He said that that's the highest you can't go because at 3" it starts to drone
I don't necessarily want it to be loud, just want there to be at least soemthing ya know?