Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best value for $ ls1 modification

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
Just after some ideas and opinions on the best value for money ls1 modification.

Considering I have an A4 and and is stock apart from cat-back...

Last edited:

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
How much am I looking at for a mild cam package, and how many hours labour? My mechanic charges me $50 an hour for all repairs/maintenance/installs.. I probably wouldn't be mechanically minded enough to do such an install; I could do the extractors however...

And what gains should I expect?

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
go to a proper performance shop it needs to be tuned looking at probably 4k including mafless tune and otr can get 400rwhp

jacksoncroucher

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
do diff gears, 3.7 or 3.46 depending on your driving, best bang for your buck modification, i went from 3.08 to 3.46 and regret not going further, great cheap mod

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
What kind of cost would different gear ratio's set me back? Also how do you calculate the rev difference at any given km/h?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I thought going down in ratio means getting higher top speed but slower acceleration? Going up, say to 4.11 to 1 gives better launch? Then you need to get the correct little plastic gear for the sender in the gearbox or you will be under the speed limit all the time when your speedo says you are on it.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Diff gears in a stock car are a total waste of time. (personally think they're a waste of time full stop for a street car).
If you want to go faster, make more power.

With diff ratio's, the smaller the number the taller the ratio.
I.e, 3.08 is how many times the drive shaft will turn, to turn the crown wheel in the diff once. To make it clear. The drive shaft will spin 360 degree's 3.08 times to rotate the crown wheel in the diff once. Where as with a 4.11 gearset, the drive shaft will have to turn 4.11 times to turn the crown wheel once.

This means to do 100kmh you will have to turn the drive shaft faster, which means more engine RPM. Which means more fuel consumption, which means more expense in the long run. So really, over a tweleve month period, which modification is more expensive?
The cam or the dif gears?

(Given that it costs about $80-100 to fill a 75ltr tank at the moment, and you'll average a tank a week with a 3.08 gear set and probably double that with 4.11)

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
Thanks for the input guys, hopefully I'll end up picking up my ls1 tomorrow night.