Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best way to drain coolant out of a v6 vy commodore

Juiced_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Commodore VT Berlina 3.8 V6
im just looking for some suggestions on how to drain the coolant out of my vy commodore since it way overdue for a change since the other owner didnt look after it.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
im just looking for some suggestions on how to drain the coolant out of my vy commodore since it way overdue for a change since the other owner didnt look after it.
hey juiced hows the beast.. At the bottom radiater hose at the radiater.

Juiced_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey juiced hows the beast.. At the bottom radiater hose at the radiater.
its going better than i thought, i want to re register it before the end of this year

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
let it drain out completely, refit the hose and clamp. Mix 50 % glycole to 50% water refilling "mixed". When you start the car turn the heater on full hot and bring to running temp check the radiater hose for a leak. Turn off and let it sit. Air in the system can be trapped so a top up will almost be necessary more than once. I put mine on car ramps at the front helping the air to rise to the highest point before l turn it off. You might have a air bleed on yours but lm not certain. Maybee someone can assist with that.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Ecotec engines have a bleed screw on the thermostat housing, just crack it open while the engine is running and keep topping up until it’s full just don’t wind the screw all the way out also probably wouldn’t hurt to flush the radiator out while u have the bottom hose disconnected

Juiced_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
i have drained it and cleaned the box, and put new coolant in it and it runs good, thanks everyone who helped!

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
For future reference, the fastest way to remove the coolant is to explode your heater tap at high revs.