Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way to drive a vs (Auto)

adamrollo9

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 HSV Clubsport
G-day i would like to know the best way to take off like i have herd put it in 3rd and then put it in drive? could i please get some words here cheers!

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
its an auto.. AUTOmatically shifts

dont need to do anything special for normal driving conditions

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Agreed, there isn't much to know about driving an auto. Usually around the city (under ~70kmh depending on conditions) I keep it in 3rd but thats about it

EDIT: There was a thread the other day about launching VN/P autos. Maybe you could do a search and read over that

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Manual shift it, or leave it in overdrive and drive the car. It's a V6 auto with a "tune", there isn't much to it.

If you are the same guy who posted that other thread and are referring to dragging your V6 don't bother, most people at the dragstrip (unless they also drive a stock V6 auto) will laugh. If you MUST drag to prove something (on a dragstrip i certainly hope), then manual shift it. If you dunno how to do that, leave it in overdrive and hope that a tornado comes and pushes your car along the dragstrip.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Manual shift it, or leave it in overdrive and drive the car. It's a V6 auto with a "tune", there isn't much to it.

If you are the same guy who posted that other thread and are referring to dragging your V6 don't bother, most people at the dragstrip (unless they also drive a stock V6 auto) will laugh. If you MUST drag to prove something (on a dragstrip i certainly hope), then manual shift it. If you dunno how to do that, leave it in overdrive and hope that a tornado comes and pushes your car along the dragstrip.

I don't really think there is any need to be like that Cobez, heaps of people actually go to the drag strip in there standard car to get used to the lights, staging and the like before they move up to something better/faster. NOBODY will laugh at you for having a slow car at the drags....Atleast you are having fun off the street. If you have never been to a dragstrip, you have no idea how much fun it is (regardless of how fast your cars is). ;)

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
;) :D :thumbsup:

jamaar4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hey my mechanic told me keep it in 3rd unless im driving in the country then put it in drive. So 3rd is best around the city. If drags power on and launch it from 1st

hope it helps

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey my mechanic told me keep it in 3rd unless im driving in the country then put it in drive. So 3rd is best around the city. If drags power on and launch it from 1st

Whattttttttt? Putting it in 3rd puts the revs up higher, therefore using more fuel and stuffing things that abit more quickly. Put it in drive and leave it in drive. Unless you are going up a nice steep hill then knock her into 3rd or having to quickly over take someone.