Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best way to reinstall manual steering rack in VH

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
hi again guys, ive been busy painting my black 202 in my VH wagon. ive took the rack out a few months ago so it was easier to paint the sump, and i was going to paint the rack as well but im running out of time for renewing the rego today i went to put the rack back in but for the life of me i can not get the intermediate shaft to slide on to the rack shaft, tried to push in a screw driver to open it a bit wider but im not strong enough to get it to widen, what is the best way to open it up? so i can slide it in so i can bolt the rack back up

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Mongrel to do by yourself juggling rack one hand holding it up to intermediate shaft knuckle without letting it angle or slip off...if you can get extra pair of hands to wiggle knuckle on will save you heaps of time & swearing.

Some go on easy whilst some fight all the way...last one was my vh had to lower steering column,nobody around that day & tried different ways no joy.

Before that did a mates vk easy peasy...my cars probably hate me hence other people's cars seem easier to work on.

Clean splines with rag & wd40

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
thanks mate, i thought as much, might have to find someone to give me a hand, i basically only got one useable hand having cerebral palsy, im used to HQ's which seem a lot easier to do the steering and much more room under there

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I recently had the rack out of my VC....Had a spare that I put new rack ends and tie rod ends in.....I pushed the rack into the intermediate shaft, then the rack into the K-frame.....Time wise....Probably 1/2 hour, give or take 10 minutes...(Didn't have the stop watch going....Never had any problems doing others either and I've done hundreds

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
hi again guys, ive been busy painting my black 202 in my VH wagon. ive took the rack out a few months ago so it was easier to paint the sump, and i was going to paint the rack as well but im running out of time for renewing the rego today i went to put the rack back in but for the life of me i can not get the intermediate shaft to slide on to the rack shaft, tried to push in a screw driver to open it a bit wider but im not strong enough to get it to widen, what is the best way to open it up? so i can slide it in so i can bolt the rack back up

the joiner is splined ..for starters so you have to get it lined up
and taking the bolts out makes that easier