Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best work utes?

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
Hey guys,
Considering selling my vx s and swapping to a ute for work, just after a few opinions on what to get. Im a plumber and i need ladder racks etc.
I prefer commy or falcon utes with a tray over larger 4wd utes etc, my boss drives a BA XR8 with a tray, apart from fuel ec. thats awesome, are there many/any xr6turbos with trays going around and are they worth it? Or am i better sticking to a straight 6? And how do the VY/VZ utes compare? and are their factory supercharged VY/VZ utes or are all the ss's 8s?

s1knt

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt senator
commo utes are good for work but i think ba xr6/8 have a bigger tray and they look better but i think there much for a muchnes kinda thing. if its just for work id get a 2wd hilux. but if its a daily and a work ute id go a commy ute.

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
yeh i just havnt seen alot of commy utes with the trays rather than the tub, there seems to be a heap of xr8s with em, i was just kinda hoping there would be more xr6turbos, i suppose i could always take the tub off and get it changed myself

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
are you referring to dings and scratches it'l pick up etc? or kms it'l rack up? Coz as it'l have the tray im not really worried bout damaging, like i said, my boss has an xr8 with the set up i want and we've been working outta that for 4 years and its coped fairly well..i do want a reliable utes but also want it to look alright and go alright too

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
what about a v8 vz 1 tonner, ive seen a few manual one getting around, even vz alloytec tonners get around, just look for a manual one,

v8 vy/vz manual tonners to get around if you look hard enough

mastadd

Reaction score
Website
www.classicskylinesaustralia.com
Members Ride
Vu Spac Ute
having had an au' s2 a vz crewman, and my current vu spac, and have driven several ba/bf utes, all 6cyl models gas and dual fuel.

i would honestly have to say get a ba/bf the value at the moment for second hand ford utes is FANTASTIC! poor resale but thats better for you the buyer,

the straight 6 poo's all over the alloytech, and just the overall work horseness is with the ford,

Holden utes for play,

Ford utes for work.

inless its an XR6 Turbo, and then thats just for skids!

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Go the Falcon for sure. Don't waste your time with something half decent.. trust me, I've been there and done that and wish I didn't do it. You could pick up a nice BA/BF tonner for 10K - 12K.

Exactly. you will regret it after 1 month. ive done it too

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Another vote for the falcon ute. Had one for work was excellent, had a commy ute, sold it after 6 months, just couldn't handle what the ford could.