Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Better Antenna for VF2 (GTSR) with GPS

Maxmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 HSV R8
FM Radio reception in my 2017 GTSR is really patchy in metro Melbourne. Some areas are good - but others (like the Tulla freeway ... and Toorak Rd from about Burwood onwards if heading towards the City) are really poor (drops out to mono, crackles, hisses etc).

I have read that many of the guys on here have had great success fitting a Mazda CX7 antenna ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genu...also-suit-Mazda6-BT-50-EG2366A30/263152943812 ) to their VE Commodores ... but I'm not sure if the same success applies for VF. Also, my previous car (VE2) has a slightly smaller thread for the antenna (I think it might be an M4 thread ... approx 4mm) than my GTSR (looks like an M5 ... approx 5mm thread) ... and also my VE2 did not have Satnav.

Anyway, I would love to know whether anyone has experience with the Mazda CX-7 solution on a current VF2 model with satnav / GPS? Is the thread the right size? Does the GPS still work fine? Is the FM reception improved?

I've looked at these little Walkinshaw stubby bee sting units as well - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...rt-Antenna-to-suit-VF-Commodore-/152062358469 - but some say the reception is worse with these (not surprising I guess - given the size) ... or at best it is about the same (just with a better looking antenna).

For me - looks are secondary - I just want better FM reception if I can get it.

Thanks a lot for any help.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I have the same issue i.e poor FM reception in certain areas and sent off an enquiry to Holden Customer Care. The response given was along the lines of their isn't enough radio station repeaters, head unit sensitivity, hence why the signal is up and down when travelling through suburbs. Also the GPS is in the base (where the antenna screws into), so by replacing the antenna only the radio signal will be effected.

Watching this thread closely.

Last edited:

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have the Walkinshaw one, and reception is a little worse than factory

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I’ve been looking for a solution to get better FM reception in my VF. I work south of Sydney and theres gaps between Sydney and Wollongong reception.

I dont care if I have to get an external unit to get what I am after

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Ive noticed in my VF the radio reception isn't as good as my VEII was

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Same here... My VF II reception on FM is rather poor when compared with other vehicles I've had. I often get static bursts driving around Canberra, which is hilly but other cars I've owned never had the problem.

My VE was also similar with its reception. I'd love to see if it's an antenna issue or a head unit problem.

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
Basically the problem lies with the VF head unit. The radio isn't as sensitive as the VE.

Maxmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 HSV R8
My VE2 radio is awesome - never an issue. I have recently been driving without even having the antenna connected on the roof (as it gets in the way of my car cover) - and I still get perfect reception. I jump in my 2017 GTSR though and it crackles and splutters. Looks like the head unit is rubbish in the newer (VF) models.

Has anyone managed to improve reception in their VF via any kind of improved antenna?

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Same problem here. Researched and no solution found. Maybe put louder exhaust on and turn radio off........