Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Better fuel eco on my vn?

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Just wondering what a good way to get better fuel economy on my vn would be, other than the obvious of course i.e. not driving flat to the floor everywhere. Im guessing a chip and maybe cold air intake are the only 2 things i might be able to do?

Also can someone explain to me what a vn AERO is and how i can make mine like one, i say this after seeing the one in the pics of your ride forum.

H

HATER VP

For better fuel econ, Replace plugs, leads, O2 sensor and coils if they need doing.

To make your car look like a areo you need the body kit. There are plenty of copys around but id go the genuine kit. I dunno about other ppl but i can tell the difference between a copy and a fake real easy.

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Whats a good place to get the body kit from.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Well if you mean good place as in cheap place, then there is nowhere. All the websites ive seen that sell bodykits are fkn expensive! Either you look out on ebay for ages untill one comes along, or you just pay the bick bickies.

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I have seen the kit for sale at ssv.com.au ... But it costs ... They do have good quality tho ... Other then that, just keep searching on ebay ... But I would prefer to go to someone I trusted...

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
More Weight = More Fuel

You have to decide, if you want to save fuel, leave it dead stock (some bodykits and wheels ok), or mod up and use more fuel.

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
install a set of vr injectors get them cleaned and checked for equal fuel flow also put in a k&nair cleaner that should help by the way what are you getting per 100 kms now

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Thanks everybody, all great insight!

kezvn said:
install a set of vr injectors get them cleaned and checked for equal fuel flow also put in a k&nair cleaner that should help by the way what are you getting per 100 kms now

How would i go about getting a set of vr injectors installed? There's a commodore wreckers around here i think that would do it for me, could it be expensive that way? There's no way i could do it myself i dont have the knowledge. Also would it make the power worse/better, or just make it a bit more efficient?

Ill deff get that k&n on.

Im not sure how many k's im getting, i only just got it then put 50 bucks in, but it seems good so far, how do i tell how many km's i get per 100kms?

Would i just: fill right up, look at how many litres i put in, hit the trip meter, drive around till im at about the same spot on the fuel guage, fill up to the top to see how many litres i've used and how many k's i've got and make a rough estimate like that? i would run it empty to see how much im gettin to a tank but too risky.

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
Litres to fill, divided by kilometers travelled, multiplied by 100. And it only works if you reset the trip meter and started with a full tank.

(BTW...I had a chance to test a Citroen C4 Diesel overnight this week, excellent handling, heaps of torque and used about 5.0l/100km in evening peak hour traffic from Brighton to Ringwood, and less than 4.5 on a spirited country night test drive. When I took it back the next day, the fuel gauge had 4/12 bars left (60 litre tank) and the trip meter said distance to empty was 430km.)