Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Better sounding but not too loud exhaust?

redheadkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute
I have a vz ute with a stock exhaust which really sounds pretty ordinary and id like to improve the tone. i dont really want it to be that much louder but just sound a bit better on start up and when i put the foot down. would i be better off modifying or changing the muffler (possibly to an ss one) or just getting a new 2.5" exhaust (looking at an xforce one). ive heard a lot of v6's with upgraded exhausts and they just sound droney and are annoying to drive with that much noise. not a huge deal but of course would prefer the cheaper option

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Steer clear of x force if you dont want a droney exhaust mate

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I have an X Force on my ute (V8) and it is droney at around 1500 rpm

Aussiemate4567

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz S ute
I’ve had the back muffler changed to a hot dog on my ute and it gives a good solid note that isn’t too loud for me around town

H

harrop.senator

On stock cats and manifolds I didn't mind my redback mild steel middle and rear muffled 2.5" on the exes.

Sounded like absolute **** with headers and cats. I have some 15" hotdogs here I was going to add to see if it brought it back down due to removing factory resonators on the stock cat pipe.

But she left , I sold the daily thinking I'd drive the caprice I built her for an l67 build and am dailying a 10 second vintage superbike.

She can weld them in herself now for all I care or sound like a generic P plate commodore owner

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
what your saying is you would take the stock v8 exhaust off the vz ute and put it on the v6?
Yes, I've done the same on my SV6 VE.

If your wanting it to sound fully hektic P plater though it won't. It raises the volume maybe 2db at best, its very subtle.

It just gives it a nice growl you can hear but everyone else on the street doesn't have to listen to, nobody would be able to tell it wasn't what came with the car unless you told them.

Reactions: Lex

2_stroke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Lol yer xforce on my ss totally blows haha 3” system get a manta wish I did the next upgrade after this the head unit and amps which I’m mid way on✌️