Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Better V8 sound S2 SS

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Hi guys,

I have a new S2 SS sportwagon with walky power pack. Stayed with the 2.5" cat back as I was concerned with drone.

Now that I have put a few thousand kms on it I am wondering what else I could do to get a more meatier idle and V8 sound? Don't get me wrong it's nice how it is but I feel I need to give it a bit of stick before you really hear the V8 sound.

I really don't want to create drone so I need to tread carefully. Is there a mid muffler that could be removed etc?

Thanks
Benny

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Get some 1 3/4 4-1 headers & high flow cats, that'll give you the extra sound that your after.;)

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Ok so headers and cats, could I be in trouble with drone with this upgrade?

Walky powerpack = CAI, cat back and tune.

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Approximate 300kw. No dyno but based on what Dale at Walky Wetheirill Park told me. Not chasing big power though, more that nice V8 note.

I was told the opposite and have read that the larger the exhaust the more potential for drone. But I'm not really sure which is correct?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Approximate 300kw. No dyno but based on what Dale at Walky Wetheirill Park told me. Not chasing big power though, more that nice V8 note.

I was told the opposite and have read that the larger the exhaust the more potential for drone. But I'm not really sure which is correct?

Seems a bit high for rwkw. Possibly the fly wheel figure?

The headers/cats won't really affect the drone, either adding to it or eliminating it. If you're not chasing huge power, just grab some short, stepped headers, to keep the cats in the right place and legal. I'd get a touch-up tune done though as well.

What did you get at the rear wheels after the tune? Also, thought they recommend a 3" exhaust to avoid drone on a wagon?

I've only heard of VCM recommending the 3 inch for the wagon as their three inch is quieter than their 2.5 inch (that is until the exhaust flow builds up to a point to actually warrant a 3 inch system). Most other brands seem to have louder 3 inch systems regardless of flow.

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Yeah sorry mate that s fly wheel rating. I'm not sure what it puts out at the wheels.

I think Walky use Xforce and I believe 2.5" is quieter, but I'm still learning my waybthrough things.