Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bi Modal Air Intake

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I read that the GTS and the 340kW “SV Enhanced” engines utilise a bi-modal air intake system.

Would love to see a few pictures of this and details on how it works.

Also read these cars will finally utilise an X-pipe in their exhaust systems.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I thought that the H pipe was better than an X pipe? and thats the reason all top notch exhausts have H pipes and only the cheap ones (xforce, redback etc) have X pipes? NAAF will be able to shed some light on that...

But a Bi-Modal intake seems... wasteful? The VE had a set of mufflers on the air intake to quiet down intake noise, but as far as i was aware had no performance downsides (compared to a replacement pipe from intake to airbox).

Most people who buy a GTS will most likely put an OTR of sorts onto it (unless its a bi-modal OTR???) anyway.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Those "Mufflers" on intake piping are Helmhotlz Resonators. They basically cut out certain frequencies causing the intake noise to change. My guess would be a butterfly opening/closing a chamber that changes the sound at high revs.

With X pipes, unless designed well, they can restrict exhaust flow. You can see that on used catbacks, where the x pipe has been burnt a different colour from the excess heat building up.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The power wars are all but over, with HSV managing director Phil Harding conceding it is starting to become too expensive to chase after even more engine performance.

The go-fast arm of Holden used to pride itself on incremental upgrades to power over the life of a vehicle range, but that has now fallen to the rising cost of extracting even small amounts of extra poke at the rear wheels.

“I don't need to keep outdoing myself each year, and since the E-Series upgrade was launched the progress of power increases has been slower than it has in the previous 20 years,” Mr Harding told GoAuto at this week’s launch of the most powerful range of HSV cars yet.

His words mean this range of HSV vehicles could be the last of the big-horsepower cars developed in Australia, after its Gen-F series of cars that go on sale this week added a supercharged 6.2-litre “LSA” engine to its line-up that produces 430kW of power and a stump-pulling 740Nm of torque.

It sits alongside the normally aspirated 6.2-litre V8 engine that borrows some bits from the LSA engine – but not the supercharger – to produce a still-healthy 340kW and 570Nm, well up on the default 325kW and 550Nm.

Mr Harding said it was starting to cost him the same amount of money to tweak an engine for 5kW as it would for 50kW, making incremental increases unviable.

From top: HSV GTS rear quarter, LSA engine in Chevrolet Camaro and HSV GTS rear.

“You're going through the same hurdles (to add small amounts of power and torque) -- certification, homologation, development, testing – and it's just becoming hugely expensive,” Mr Harding said.

“So the little bits and pieces that you used to do every year though our previous E-Series, you'll notice we've stopped doing that.”

Mr Harding said the 340kW engine tune for the 6.2-litre LS3 engine was an unintended bonus of the supercharged LSA engine’s development program.

“And the 340kW has come to us as a tremendous surprise, but it came to us as a result of the GTS development because, as you know, we put the breathing package from the GTS on the standard engine.

“As soon as we put it on the standard engine we got 340kW,” he said.

“We sat around at a meeting one day and said ‘Well, we've got to go for that, hadn't we?’

“So we did it.”

Mr Harding said he thought HSV had already stretched the boundary with its 325kW LS3 engine development.

“We thought we were at the limit – not the ultimate limit, but the legal limit ... where you get an engine tune that complies with ADRs (Australian Design Rules),” he said.

“It’s where you can add a few more kilowatts, or maybe only a fraction more (to still stay within the confines of the ADRs), so when 340kW came along, it was quite a surprise.”

Mr Harding said he then sold the LSA idea to parent company Holden by fitting an engine crated in from the US under the bonnet of a car that the current Gen-Y replaces.

“Everyone at Holden who drove it liked it as much as we did,” he said.

There are no indications that HSV arch-rival Ford Performance Vehicles is planning to outgun the 430kW supercharged V8 in the GTS flagship with a reborn Falcon GTHO.

As GoAuto has reported, a cloud hangs over the future of the FPV operations with the announcement that Ford will cease manufacturing in Australia from 2016, although an upgraded FPV series is due next year with the final Falcon range.

The current FPV GT uses a 335kW/570Nm supercharged 5.0-litre ‘Miami’ V8.
HSV GTS - Power wars over, says HSV’s Harding | GoAuto

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
From that article I assume the 340kw engine is using the GTS LSA's exact air intake and exhaust and make a healthy increase in power.

I would still like to see pics of both

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Due to the supercharger moving the thottle body, i doubt they use the same intake.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Due to the supercharger moving the throttle body, i doubt they use the same intake.

I imagine the bimodal system is located prior to the airbox therefor common on both.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The rest of the range was not forgotten with a new bi-modal air intake system being largely responsible, along with new exhaust headers, for the increase in power of the normally aspirated V8 to 340kW.
It’s the engine fitted as standard to Senator and Grange models and optional on any R8. The bi-modal air intake has a valve that increases the amount of air sucked into the engine depending on throttle position and engine revs for extra power. When closed, torque (or pulling power) is enhanced at lower engine speeds.

Drive: HSV Gen-F: Engineering and development

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Hmm well there you go.

Interesting stuff either way

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
This thread was very helpful... I honestly had no idea what the benefit of a bi-modal intake was. Still seems like a bit of a wank to me, but the end result seems to be a more refined car (IE: Noise wise) without compromising performance.

Wonder what will happen when they start running the LT1. Being a newer motor it should be cleaner & using all the "R&D" which has managed to increase the power while still complying with the ADRs in the LS3, you'd expect to see even more power once the change over happens... Wonder if they'll up the wick on the GTS just to keep the power levels vastly different.