Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bi Modal (Induction) on a HQ GTS 308 Monaro by mistake.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
( The below is a Fantasy and never happened because I would never be involved on street racing because as we all know its illegal and I would never be involved with anything like this)

Back in 1971 I purchased a Holden Monaro with a 308 Holden engine in it and after weeks of driving I went for a drive too beefies (Big Chief) a hang out for hotting up cars on Parramatta road Granville and also at Tavener Hill at Petersham. Now this was early in 1972 because I got the car as a Present on the 22 December 1971 so Of I go to BEEFIES and once I was there most of the guys there came to look at the Car. (Around 200+ dudes) Now when they asked me what engine was in the green monro I said a 308 and they laugh at me,,,, SHI.T BOX why did you get the almighty US 350., I said NO the 350 was around $5200 and I only can spend $4200 and because my uncle worked at Pagewood he order the car for my father for me and because the family is very clean and myself ( Here we go again OCD) he wanted to have bone white upholster, plus the never seen before Electric windows and I got by accident duel Exhaust. Yes It was a present from my father because I become a Licensed Electrician and was doing studies to become a Electrical Engineer.
After a week or so I found my self a BRICKIES!! yes a illegible street racing venue at Underwood road Homebush raided by the Police (some of us become friend with them) that was famous with illegal street racing that was used from late 60s to mid 80" (I think or later) now when I went to brickies I was visited by many of racer there and wanted to know the engine in my car ( do you want to race it mate!!) and they asked me and said 308 holden engine in the car they RUBBISHED ME, SHI.T BOX, SHI.T ENGINE, PISS OFF, GET A REAL ENGINE IN IT yes had to park the car away from the rest of them.
Now I eventually told my Father this (NO NO NOT BRICKIES) that the 308 engine was no good for power (father flipped) and after a year I had a Holiday in the US to a Friend from my Father that he first met him in WW2. Now once in the California with plenty of money and info for a 308 Engine (remember No internet those days) he suggest this and that and when I got everything that I needed two 44 gal drums was welded together with all my goodies inside which was a 12 bolt diff that was exactly the same as the HQ diff except for the the main brake nipple. yes this diff was a ripper it was EXTREMELY STRONG and had semi floating axles, A fine Spline Muncie, with liberty slider syncro hubs for fast gear changes, and for the Engine He said use this and find a machine Shop that can do this and that. Yes I got a set Of Venolia 11.5: 1 SHORT GUDGEON Height pistons, a set of I think super rods (Longer than a 308) can be drilled for any height so I played with longer rods but shorter gudgeon (cant spell it blame the stroke) and that gave me the same capacity of a 308 but a DIFFERENT Rod angle. Yes the drums were fill with car part including a traction setup for the 12 Bolt diff + many,many more parts that I bough over for my friend.
Now when I came home I got a spare 308 Engine block from Toongabie Bus service because they were changing from 308 to diesel They were (HP Blocks) and I went to my Friend workshop (Bert Jones) his son was my friend and we done work there whilst I fixed all the light issue they had in the work area (scratch my back I will scratch yours too)

Without going into to much detail in modifying a 308 (tried 650 and 750 CFM Holleys, the 650 had a better ET) I did machine out the standard Holden manifold ( cant get yet a Edelbrock Manifold, NOT Available) big work was done on the Heads, Roller rockers, Larger Valves, 11.5 Venolias were maching to suit the Head for 11. 1 Comp, block was decked, Heads we CC, Shi.t lots other stuff like electric fuel pump from the US 90:10's front shocks so the weight of the car goes to the back and other many many things. I tried different Combination to make the car faster because of this the engine was pulled out a few time to get it right but after 6 months or so I ended up with a BEAST of a 308. After this I got the first ever Edelbrock Torker Manifold, Better Extractors, Better Stainless (2.1/2 inch) steel Exhaust.
Yes I had a Strong 308, Strong Steel flywheel (Our Mechanical workshop at work made me 2 steel flywheels of different weight, yes my dads friend told me to do this and that) A strong Muncie (even tried the top loader but it was heavy than the muncie and the ratios were no good) and a indestructible tailshaft and the 12 bolt diff so I ended back going the beefies and brickies looking for the guys that rubbish me (yes I had them back up) because of dick head there dont like to lose and then Fight will start. Only one was fast than me was brown HT 327 owned by a goy that knew me. (Fred)
99% The 350 monaro, got walloped buy a 308, all the falcons got their doors blow OFF except for one but his car had a issue and that was a leg out of bed. yes race him twice and his conrod kicked the starter moter out. The other Competition I had was a guy that had a Norton 750 Bike and that was it and I raced him rolling starts only.
After this and the cops knew my car and wound be long before I was at the cops house wiring new power points for them. I like some corruption and these days it will never happen like this (remember it a lies what I'm saying) I wont say what the cops did one night at Brickies when they raided brickies and removed 150 maybe 200 hundred people and cars and told them to piss off but kept me, keep another Phase 3 falcon, and two 350 HT or HG Monaros and the fun started. (Wont say more) Remember I' dreaming.
To get my car FASTER I TRIED EVERYTHING including cold air to the Carby and this is the first ever Induction Bi Modal by mistake!!!

See I rang dads friend in the US and told him the good news that I defeated all the wankers and he said to me about using cold air forced into the carby so I tried this and it worked. Now After the Brickies days or in between I race at Castlereagh Drag, some days I drive there some day it was trailed there but within day there I found out what made the car work good and it was COLD AIR INDUCTION done by the method that I did by having two cut out on the Plenum Chamber ( The Air duck for a HQ for air in the Cabin) and buy this I able to get the 308GTS Monaro to run from 13.1 seconds to 12.90 seconds at 106 MPH on STREET TYRES. **** a Standard 350monaro will get et at 15 5 seconds, Phase 3 will get 14.2 seconds on a Quarter and a XU1 will get around 16.1 seconds yet I was doing Consistently 13.1 or 13.2 and now you know why I allegedly blew the doors off all at Brickies but when I got the Cold air induction I got the first ever for me a 12.88 and eventually the faster for me in street trim, Exhaust Off but with a 24 inch exhaust pipe extension but what I did notice is I did stop the Air coming in the Car via to two vents I would go FASTER so i come to the Conclusion that If I kept the two vent Closed the car will force the air into the Air cleaner remove the element but left a screen to stop the engine getting unwanted stones in there. What made the car good on Street Tyres was a Muncie with a 2.2 first gear (Close Ratio) so you will take off at 6500, drop the clutch the Long First gear made the tyre bite, the longer conrods will give more torque and with a heavy flywheel its away and having a close ratio box the Muncie change to second then in third than top in its power band Other 2.52 Muncies (Wide Ratio) because I smoked up the tyres and had a big gap between 3rf and top.

The BI Modal Induction found by a Mistake

See When I made the cold air Induction on the car I did not expect the ROAR like a LION that was introduce to inside the car, It sound like I had 10 lions inside the car and in sounded fantastic !!!!!! I love it as when I reached 3500 to 7500 RPM the car in the car become ALIVE and the last time I took the car for drive It ROARED AGAIN Yeahhh so by have those two Air cleaner vents in the plenum change and because the plenum chamber share with the left and right air vents inside the car all the noise of induction came from there YEAH!!!! It sound great.

The Photo's below are a Lie and you are imaging them.

Notice the New intake manifold as the Original sprung a leak I bough it early in the 70's and was able to buy the EXACTLY SAME one 3 years ago.
Notice the LARGE Alternator pulley because 7500RPM = Disaster for the Alternator
Also I had a 3 inch pully down the crank for the power steering (Car idled at 1000, if the car idled at 900 the car will stall also NO POWER STEERING because of the small pulley on the crankshaft that I added after because of heavy steering but I took the Belt off whilst racing at the Drags

Right Vent: move it FORWARD to Make induction Bi Modal to work

Left Vent: Move it Forward to make the induction Bi Modal to work. Do you like the 7500 RPM Limit but I did take it to 7800 RPM but 99% of the time it was 7500 in 1st, 7500 2nd and 7400 or 7500 RPM in 3rd, will do the Job to beat those lead sled fords
Arggggh Notice those two up and down switches, The one on the right is for the Compressor for the Air shocks, Up the Car compressing them and down the Valve opens and releasing air to lower the car. Have a pressure gauge in between the speedo and the RPM meter . NOW the Left Switch, No I wont tell what that does but the people that know the car they knows what it does.

Arghhh Yes the HURST Shifter, Take note of the short throw From first to second and third to 4th was about 4 inches up the top. quick Gear Changes.

The Monro was very will known on local news papers also on drag Magazines, also know buy the Nutter that use to run at Shell because FORDS DO NOT HAVE GOOD BRAKES and I had Bigger Fount rotors + Massive two big rear Disk Brakes that added later and the Monro use to stop like a Dime but the Fords that did not win they want to show off and go in front of me (wanker they are) after I was stopping they run out of brakes and crashed in the wall at the end.
If you make you car FASTER you must make the car stop shorter.

YOU WILL NOTICE ONE THING. Thanks to my Uncle that worked at Holden He Copied what was going to be used but it never happened used as it was a Pontiac front (its a Lie and this alone is a FIGMENT in my imagination) but did you notice a Statesmen Front BUT WITH SINGLE HEAD LIGHT. Heeee
Again this is all a Lie and this did not happen as it a figment in my imagining. Shi.t I should have taken a photo of the front

Last edited:

dropsmokeandgo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SV6 Sportwagon
Awesome :)

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
YES!
I remember the Big Chief Roadhouse.
Back then I had a HR. It had a lot of work done to it. (6 cyl SU's 4speed LSD DISC brakes! )
I thought I was ****-hot!
Until. . . .
a guy moved into my block of units who had a police blue EH panel van.
He was PG (no names) Did you know him?
He left me standing in the dust!
I remember when he used to come down the driveway because our TV would go crazy because he ran a magneto ignition.
Ahhh the memories. . . . .

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
YES!
Back then I had a HR. It had a lot of work done to it. (6 cyl SU's 4speed LSD DISC brakes! )
Until. . . .
I remember when he used to come down the driveway because our TV would go crazy because he ran a magneto ignition.
I think his Name is Peter Gr***** Wont say his sir name but If I remember him, was a quite guy with a beard. Also had black and white Plates plates with PG ***

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
YES!
Until. . . .

Yes the car was lowered and was a goer for a six. Yes BIG Chief, I mainly hang out at Granville with my friends ALL except for one are dead now and he come to my house ever now and then he, had a XU1. The thing we use to get up too you will never get away with it today.
Th odd thing is When I had my Heart attack 11 years ago all of my QLD Friends that used to live in Sydney (Brickies Days) whist living in QLD Visited me in Hospital and said to me what you doing in Hospital because you dont drink much, dont smoke, you are very fit but the trouble is 5 out of 6 are dead now. Life is strange.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have re wrote my large post up the top because of plenty, plenty of mistakes. Its not perfect but it will do, at least it make 98% sense.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Yes, that's him. I haven't seen him since those days though.
My HR got stolen while I was on a night out at Double Bay. I reckon whoever stole it got an almighty surprise!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sad these day because I'm the ONLY one that still has there car from the 70', Also I'm still alive except for one. We use to have a one year meeting for all the Brickies days held at Homebush Bay, Yes the new setup for the Olympics I was there the last time in 1999 just before the Olympics at 2000 because after this I moved to QLD

Last edited: