Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bi modal retro fit

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Ive had my DPE mufflers on my VF2 LS3 Auto Sedan retro fitted with the electric bi modal actuators today & i've notice slight drone on the motorway which i don't see why it would on this as i had a 3" catback dpe system on my 2008 VE SSV auto sedan i had a few years ago. Also noticed there's really not that much difference with the valve closed compared to with the stock mufflers... i understand these are straight through and the stock were baffled... has anyone got the same setup?

Btw the system does sound great and also for anyone wanting this done the Local exhaust shop charged me $200

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
Hey Jack, I have very similar if not identical set up to you.

I've not noticed any drone at highway speeds, though mine is manual. I can't really hear any exhaust noise at all at 100km/h. At 110km/h I can very faintly hear the exhuast, but I wouldn't describe it as drone.

Agree re noise levels with the valve closed compared to stock mufflers open - though the sound quality is heaps better.

One of the biggest difference for me is at idle, which is useful if you happen to pull up the lights with a cop behind you.

Once thing I have noticed though- on initial start up in the mornings (which was among the main reasons I had the valves re-fitted due to neighbours), it's not a lot quieter than with them open for that split second when it fires up - I always untick the bimodal before shutting the motor down the night before. Noticed that even when you have them shut, once you turn the motor off they open.

They must close within a split second of motor starting, because after the initial fire they operate as I wanted, which still serves my purpose in terms of minimising noise on early morning starts.

Overall though, absolutely no regrets from my end. Sounds awesome everywhere - down low and up high in the revs.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Hey Jack, I have very similar if not identical set up to you.

I've not noticed any drone at highway speeds, though mine is manual. I can't really hear any exhaust noise at all at 100km/h. At 110km/h I can very faintly hear the exhuast, but I wouldn't describe it as drone.

Agree re noise levels with the valve closed compared to stock mufflers open - though the sound quality is heaps better.

One of the biggest difference for me is at idle, which is useful if you happen to pull up the lights with a cop behind you.

Once thing I have noticed though- on initial start up in the mornings (which was among the main reasons I had the valves re-fitted due to neighbours), it's not a lot quieter than with them open for that split second when it fires up - I always untick the bimodal before shutting the motor down the night before. Noticed that even when you have them shut, once you turn the motor off they open.

They must close within a split second of motor starting, because after the initial fire they operate as I wanted, which still serves my purpose in terms of minimising noise on early morning starts.

Overall though, absolutely no regrets from my end. Sounds awesome everywhere - down low and up high in the revs.

It’s wifes daily so I’m getting feedback off her I understand they will be louder now but the sound is worth it.

Does yours still go quite after certain revs taking off as it does with the stock mufflers?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
on initial start up in the mornings , it's not a lot quieter than with them open for that split second when it fires up
Mine is the same but can say without a doubt its definitely closed at startup. also just noticed the bailey tip is only in the valved pipe ons tock vf2 rears

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
It’s wifes daily so I’m getting feedback off her I understand they will be louder now but the sound is worth it.

Does yours still go quite after certain revs taking off as it does with the stock mufflers?

With the valves open, there seems to be less areas within the rev range where it goes quiet compared to stock (which is magic and what I wanted), but yeah, there are still certain points if you're driving it normally.

I know it's different to what you're asking, but at 60km/h, or there abouts, you'd never know I'd had anything done. Literally can't hear a thing.

In terms of the sound with the valves shut. To be honest I've never really driven it like that. Basically only use them as mentioned above.

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
Mine is the same but can say without a doubt its definitely closed at startup. also just noticed the bailey tip is only in the valved pipe ons tock vf2 rears

Good to know mine's working normally.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Here’s another thought say I was to put the factory ls3 2.5” centre section back on and leave the 3” dpe bi modal mufflers would it be significantly quieter and no drone?
Has anyone just changed the mufflers on there vf2?

Other option I’m considering is putting the 3” dpe system up for swaps for a 2.5” system

Also what are bailey tips i here ppl speak of?

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Here’s another thought say I was to put the factory ls3 2.5” centre section back on and leave the 3” dpe bi modal mufflers would it be significantly quieter and no drone?

Other option I’m considering is putting the 3” dpe system up for swaps for a 2.5” system

if the factory center section has a muffler it will be a lot quieter.

the bailey tips have holes in them to resonate noise into the cabin of the vehicle so it sounds louder.
I cant find a pic but this video at about 1:40 explains it
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/v8-play-holden-commodore-vf-series-ii-unveiled

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
if the factory center section has a muffler it will be a lot quieter.

the bailey tips have holes in them to resonate noise into the cabin of the vehicle so it sounds louder.
I cant find a pic but this video at about 1:40 explains it
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/v8-play-holden-commodore-vf-series-ii-unveiled

I’ve fitted up the factory center section and left the mufflers I think I’ve found a happy medium for myself and the wife.

Anyone looking to buy a sedan 3” dpe center section like new travelled about 500km

Just watched that video I don’t think I have that bailey tip with the hole to give it more sound in the cabin o_O

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE

I’ve fitted up the factory center section and left the mufflers I think I’ve found a happy medium for myself and the wife.

Anyone looking to buy a sedan 3” dpe center section like new travelled about 500km

Just watched that video I don’t think I have that bailey tip with the hole to give it more sound in the cabin o_O
because you got rid of your stock mufflers with teh bailey tip