Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bi-modal vs Aftermarket

hsvluva

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF V8 Calais
So I have bought a VF2 Question regarding exhausts. I have had a bi modal LS3 before and loved the sound. I can get my hands on a Manta 2.5" catback and pacemaker headers with hi flow cats for $1300 (VE but pretty sure they fit a VF?) Worthy upgrade? Or just grab the headers n cats for 1k?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
So I have bought a VF2 Question regarding exhausts. I have had a bi modal LS3 before and loved the sound. I can get my hands on a Manta 2.5" catback and pacemaker headers with hi flow cats for $1300 (VE but pretty sure they fit a VF?) Worthy upgrade? Or just grab the headers n cats for 1k?
The stock midpipe reduces down to 1 7/8" at the rear of the front muffler and is too restrictive with headers and high flow cats. You'll increase power with the 2.5" cat back.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Definitely upgrade the mid-section, too many crimped sections capable of restricting exhaust flow.

hsvluva

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF V8 Calais
Thanks guys. It's more that I was.worried the 2.5" would be too quiet as my installer believes 3" is better?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Definitely upgrade the mid-section, too many crimped sections capable of restricting exhaust flow.
I don't know why they reduced the pipe size to 2" and flattened it over the trans tunnel brace when there's plenty of room for 2.5" pipe. The stock exhaust isn't too bad in design but has several silly restrictions for no valid reason.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thanks guys. It's more that I was.worried the 2.5" would be too quiet as my installer believes 3" is better?
Anyone recommending exhaust sizing to suit 900hp sprint car engines for a non-supercharged VF is a red flag! Unless a 2.5" exhaust is robbing an engine of top end horsepower, a 3" is much harder to control drone with the limited muffler space available.